CUDA slow due to de-muxing and re-muxing

Discussing about advanced video encoding techniques including GPU encoding, distributive encoding and segmental encoding. Topics are not limited to MediaCoder.
sbv3
Beginner
Beginner

CUDA slow due to de-muxing and re-muxing

Post by sbv3 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:53 pm

Hi!

Is there a way to avoid de-muxing and re-muxing when using CUDA? I use V0.7.1.4490.

The issue is that the files are gone through so often... Converting a VOB requires that the entire file is read (4-6GB for a full DVD), and write the audio file in ac3 (300-400MB) then go through the vob again (again 4-6GB and convert it and write a 1 GB H264 file) and then remux it all, so read 2 files (1GB + 300 MB) and write it into one file. Obviously, this is a lot more harddisk activity than needed and takes a few minutes longer than needed (e.g. the overall conversion is then almost as fast as when I do it on my quadcore in native mode, except, of course, that during the conversion using CUDA I have resources avail on the CPU).

Cheers,
Stefan.

Crunch
Amateur
Amateur

Re: CUDA slow due to de-muxing and re-muxing

Post by Crunch » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:19 pm

Did you try and uncheck the Demux For Audio/video Sources check box in the Demuxer tab?

I've yet to work with files that large but with 500+mb output files the combining at the end of the encode takes 15 seconds or less.

This is a little off topic but have you tried encoding anamorphic sources yet? for the life of me I can't get the cuda to output anything that even remotely
resembles the source DAR.