MediaCoder with CUDA acceleration

Discussing about advanced video encoding techniques including GPU encoding, distributive encoding and segmental encoding. Topics are not limited to MediaCoder.
stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

MediaCoder with CUDA acceleration

Post by stanley » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:50 pm

Just let everyone know, a new release of MediaCoder with CUDA acceleration will be released soon. Just stay tuned.
When things work together, things work.

prot7
Beginner
Beginner

Re: MediaCoder with CUDA acceleration

Post by prot7 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:03 pm

I just performed a MediaCoder vs. Badaboom/CUDA test on my laptop and MediaCoder was actually faster (~1,5h vs ~2h).
Few more details:
- System: Dell laptop with Intel Core Duo T9300 2.50 Ghz and nVidia GForce 8600M GT; latest nVidia CUDA drivers installed
- File: XVID/MP3, AVI movie converted into H264/MP3, MP4; no changes to audio/video bitrate or resolution
- Software: MediaCoder 0.7.0 build 4395 and Badabooom 1.1.1.194 trial version.
- ProcUsage: MediaCoder 50-80% , Badaboom 10-15%
- Conversion speed (as observed during conversion): 20-25fps Badaboom, 25-35fps MediaCoder

The reduction in CPU usage is great but the slower conversion speed is quite a bummer. Hopefully MediaCoder can do better, otherwise the feature is quite useless for my config.

Anyway, wish you luck with the implementation

SirAuron
Expert
Expert

Re: MediaCoder with CUDA acceleration

Post by SirAuron » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:02 pm

I'll do a quick test comparing badaboom and MediaCoder (both cpu and gpu based) encoding for my Ipod Touch.
Let's see how it fares.

*will update as soon as I am done

I get an error message saying: Due to licence issue, the CUDA encoder is temporarily disabled.
Any reason for this?
MediaCoder settings:

x264 (backend/source: mencoder, fps: 23,976, Fabio Sonatti's settings) + nero aac 64 in matroska