Cuda coding not working on Maxwell cards?

Discussing about advanced video encoding techniques including GPU encoding, distributive encoding and segmental encoding. Topics are not limited to MediaCoder.
Katana
Beginner
Beginner

Cuda coding not working on Maxwell cards?

Post by Katana » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:27 pm

Mediacoder x64 version 0.8.33.5680 on Win 8.1 with Nvidia gtx980m on 344.75 drivers.

Mediacoder starts then errors out after 3 secs with an error:

cudaENCODE.exe has stopped working, followed by generic 014 error code.

On my old notebook I have no issues but that is running with gtx680m video cards and Win 7.

Anyone manage to successfully use cuda encoding on new Maxwell gtx980/970 cards? Can you share your OS/driver versions etc?

themaster123
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Cuda coding not working on Maxwell cards?

Post by themaster123 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:30 pm

To my knowledge nvidia removed the cuda video encoder option in the newer drivers in favor of Nvidia NVENC which is similar to intel quick sync in that it use dedicated for encoding, however mediacodier doesn't support NVENC as of this posting. Since you mention a mobile card(980m) if you have a intel processor you might be able to use quick sync though because of optimus. I use a 970(similar chip to the 980/970m) in my desktop as well a 860m(also maxwell but first generation based as there is two version of this card) and have problem with this and have been force to use quick sync(i5 for desktop\i7 for laptop) in order to use gpu encoding. I tried the fix other have post in other threads that put an older driver dll in the correct folder with the idea that it fixes it but doesn't seem to work with this newer card or I have been doing it wrong.

Here a link to the issue and the second post talk about that fix https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... ?offset=15 .

sharkbite
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Cuda coding not working on Maxwell cards?

Post by sharkbite » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:25 am

themaster123 wrote: however mediacodier doesn't support NVENC as of this posting.
Yes it does!

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13385