Intel Encoder stopped to work after update

Discussing about advanced video encoding techniques including GPU encoding, distributive encoding and segmental encoding. Topics are not limited to MediaCoder.
Post Reply
markp
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:02 pm

Intel Encoder stopped to work after update

Post by markp » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:18 pm

Hi:
I was trying the Intel Encoder option, I was gladly surprised how fast that method was. Unfortunatley the quality wasn't the best, so I updated the Intel HD drivers to the latest ones. Now that option doesn't work anymore. The process starts but at a rate 0f 0.02x then 0.01x and then 0.00x. I never got an error message or something, but I must close the program, because it also doesn't stop. I really don't know what happened. I even reinstalled Mediacoder, but with no luck.

my CPU is an Intel Core i3 -3220 (Ivy Bridge)
Intel Driver Revision: 15.31.9.64.3165 (May 10, 2013)
Mediacoder version: x64 0.8.25.5553

thanks in advance
Mark

markp
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:02 pm

Re: Intel Encoder stopped to work after update

Post by markp » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:47 am

I've done some more tests.

if I use:
Intel Driver Revision: x64 15.28.12.64.2932 (December 19, 2012)
Everything works fine, I even can stop the processed with no problem. (codecs used Video X.264 or MPEG2)

If I use:
Intel Driver Revision: x64 15.31.3.64.3071 ( March 20, 2013)
The encoding process is faster. It works fine if I don't stop the process, but if I try to stop it, Mediacoder crush inmediately.

If I use the lastest drivers, the beavior is the described on my first post.

Is it a shame, because the difference in speed is amazing, up to 4.5 times faster.

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4130
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Intel Encoder stopped to work after update

Post by stanley » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:30 pm

I will confirm this.
When things work together, things work.

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4130
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Intel Encoder stopped to work after update

Post by stanley » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:01 pm

I tested the latest Intel driver version released in July with Intel i7-4770K processor and the problem you described does not occur.
When things work together, things work.

markp
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:02 pm

Re: Intel Encoder stopped to work after update

Post by markp » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:14 pm

which version of Mediacoder did you use ? I've just realized there is a newer version.

I used version: x64 0.8.25.5553 for the tests.

I'll check again with version x64 0.8.25.5555 tomorrow.

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4130
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Intel Encoder stopped to work after update

Post by stanley » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:20 pm

Latest 5555 (but Intel encoder has not been changed since 5542).
Just now tested with driver version 15.31.18.64.3272 and everything is fine.
When things work together, things work.

markp
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:02 pm

Re: Intel Encoder stopped to work after update

Post by markp » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:39 pm

Hi Stanley:

I did the tests again with version 5555, I got no problems. So I unstalled Mediacoder and downloaded again version 5553 (I erased the previous 5553 installer). This time I couldn't get the errors again with none of the 3 Intel drivers, but I got another strange behavior, When I start the process the process bar was stuck all the way and on the status bar it says something like 10214111448712%, instead starting with 0.0%.

I guess the problem is not directly related with the Intel Encoder. All my problems started when I tried to extract a piece of a video. So I set the start position then the end position, but as I didn't want to re-encode the video I set the enable copy video and audio. I didn't know that Mediacoder didn't care about the time settings, when the copy options are set. Then I pressed the start button, but I didn't get the progress bar and also I couldn't stop the process, so I had to kill Mediacoder. When I started Mediacoder again, the original video was still on the play list, then the problem with the progress bar started until I removed the the video from the play list and addded it again. That solved the problem. Maybe there is some unchecked buffer overrun or something, I really don't know.

Anyway, what I have learnt from all of this is to remove any prevoius version of Mediacoder before installing a new one and second to erase the playlist everytime I start Mediacoder.

By the way, Mediacoder, with the latest drivers from Intel is faster in about 10%, but only with H.264, but for some reason Auto is faster than GPU for MPEG2.

Post Reply