Intel Quick Sync Not Working

Discussing about advanced video encoding techniques including GPU encoding, distributive encoding and segmental encoding. Topics are not limited to MediaCoder.
stevieg21
Amateur
Amateur

Intel Quick Sync Not Working

Post by stevieg21 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:51 pm

I posted this message in the "Basic Discussions" forum and haven't gotten a response. I'm hoping someone can help me here.

I just updated to MediaCoder version 8.24.5540x64 from version 8.23.5530x64 using the full version download. I get a message saying "No Supported Acceleration Hardware Detected" when I click on the GPU box under the video tab. I made sure the Intel Accelerated Encoder box was checked during the installation. The previous version was not having this issue.

My computer is a laptop with an Intel Core i7-2720QM CPU (SandyBridge). I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit and have 8 gigs of ram installed.

Anyone else having this problem?
:cry:

stevieg21
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Intel Quick Sync Not Working

Post by stevieg21 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:21 pm

Well, it took me awhile, but I got it working again. First, I switched back to an older version of the software (MediaCoder-x64-0.8.23.5530). That recognized that my CPU supported Intel Quick Sync. But, I really wanted to use the newest version with the updated Intel encoder. I decided to try updating my video driver. My laptop maker's (HP) website listed my current driver as the latest one. I went to Intel's website and found a generic driver which was much newer, 2013 versus 2011. I updated to this driver and then installed the latest version of MediaCoder. It now recognized my CPU, but when I tried using Intel Quick Sync it ran much slower. It was basically encoding in real time (1x speed) so there was no benefit to using Intel QS. Before, I was getting an average of 15x with DVD videos. So a 30 minute video would take about two minutes to encode.

As a last ditch effort, I tried doing a fresh install of the new video driver instead of as an update. I had to uninstall the driver first and then did a clean install. I then installed the current version of MediaCoder (MediaCoder-x64-0.8.26.5560) and it worked again with conversion speed at around 15x. I'm using the quality setting, which is the slowest one.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but it felt good to vent a little here. I'm curious if anyone with a desktop version of the Intel chip is getting the same speeds or faster.