Feedbacks needed for Segmental Video Encoding

Discussing about advanced video encoding techniques including GPU encoding, distributive encoding and segmental encoding. Topics are not limited to MediaCoder.
stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Feedbacks needed for Segmental Video Encoding

Post by stanley » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:43 pm

1-pass or 2-pass? Have you tried other container like mp4 or mkv?
When things work together, things work.

niky202
Beginner
Beginner

Post by niky202 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:52 pm

stanley wrote:1-pass or 2-pass? Have you tried other container like mp4 or mkv?
mp4 is fine but avi xvid is not I encode with 1 pass when I encode movies avi xvid are fine but tv shows is not

how I can fix it ?

richcsst
Beginner
Beginner

Post by richcsst » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:35 am

I have been getting videos with segments placed out of order. This is only rare, and happens only once or twice within a large video, and not always for every file. The sound remains correct, but the video portion itself seems to jump around. When order is restored, the sound remains in perfect sync. It's as if evenly separated segments are assembled out of order. I turn off SVE and the problem disappears.

I am using version 0.8.22.5508 64 bit.

These are unprotected original VOBs that I have verified play fine before encoding to x.264/LC-AAC or x.264 with sound stream copy (AC-3).
Last edited by richcsst on Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

kaygeebee
Beginner
Beginner

Post by kaygeebee » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:34 am

SVE hasn't really done it for me, though it could be that I'm encoding with QuickSync (GPU) and not with x264 (CPU). And if I do, the improvement is minimal and always follows the same pattern: encoding starts, the speed explodes to 20-30x and then drops and drops until it hits normal values (3-6x).

encoderdude
Beginner
Beginner

Post by encoderdude » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:09 am

Correct me if i'm wrong, I feel tht, when i do 2-pass encoding in sve mode, each segment of the video gets first & second pass to tht segment alone irrespective of the whole video. Thus the output of the video lukks far less quality compared to normal 2 pass encoding. If i'm correct, the purpose of 2-pass encoding is to allocate the bits properly to those area which needs more & to give less to those area tht needs less. If my idea about SVE is correct, thn i suggest to rewrite the code in this order. (just a suggestion, i'm no coder)
1. Divide the whole file into various segments based on length.
2. Depending on the cores & threads available, Do Each segment a first pass. (suppose there are 4 cores, then 4 seperate segments gets 4 seperate first passes)
3. Complete first pass on every segment.
4. Join the different segments with first passes to a single first pass file.
5. Do the second pass SVE using the info from the single first pass file.

I dunno know how much this is possible to do, but as a newbie in encoding, i'll be excited if this can be achieved. Atleast, in theory, the quality of output will be great... :D

aryosgr
Beginner
Beginner

Post by aryosgr » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:19 am

On 3630QM and NVidia 660M (Kepler) all works fine with CUDA, but there is absolutely no difference.

ScarecrowDM
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ScarecrowDM » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:35 am

SVE is broken with PSP Edition (or breaks something).
Videos are created fine and fast, and are compatible with PC media players.
But once on PSP, it shows up as corrupt.
Thumbnails aren't created either.

The sad is, with SVE disabled, for some reason breaks normal conversion.
Speed goes to something like 0.005X forever and if I manually stop the process MC crashes. Looks like a regression.

I'm using x64 5525 (since 5530 is not there to download yet).

ShawnDevin
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ShawnDevin » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:58 am

Encoding mkv to avi with H.264 codec 2 pass in MediaCoder x64 0.8.22.5530,
The Segmental Video Encoder (ati graphics card by the way) is noticeably faster. the difference is between running at .85x speed and 1.25x speed. However, after about a minute of playing back the encoded video, suddenly the color in the picture shifts dramatically to be a pale representation of the colors. very washed out looking. turning off the SVE slows down encoding, but causes it to encode properly.

ps. using avisynth as the video source cause I like the drop shadows generated by ffdshow over the subtitle rendering built in to mediacoder. I also have the preset on Ultra Fast. Audio is being copied. container set to avi. no picture settings set.

DooZer
Beginner
Beginner

Post by DooZer » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:51 pm

Hi!!

Here is my try: encoding x264-MKv to Xvid-AVI (23 minutes) with mediacoder64 0.8.25.5550 on a AMd Athlon64 X2 6000+. The process seems to go on smooth with seg. enabled, but at the end i gather only the firsts 42sec of the original video. It seems to be an erroro in the recombine process. I also monitored the temp dir and during the time appears the segmented videos numbered as 1,2,3,etc..
anyway i don't see a noticeable improve in encoding speed, 'cause it remains the same (3.70x) with or without the segmentation enabled.

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:54 pm

On systems with full CPU load in normal mode, enabling SVE won't improve performance.
When things work together, things work.