Intel Media Decoder SDK

Discussing about advanced video encoding techniques including GPU encoding, distributive encoding and segmental encoding. Topics are not limited to MediaCoder.
WilliamChan4
Beginner
Beginner

Intel Media Decoder SDK

Post by WilliamChan4 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:14 am

The greatest feature of MediaCoder is the ability to encode video using QuickSync. However, I find it odd that the corresponding decoder component of the Intel Media SDK has not been implemented which would further decrease CPU loads.

WilliamChan4
Beginner
Beginner

Intel Quick Sync Decode with FFdshow!

Post by WilliamChan4 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:11 am

Hello everyone,

After installing Haali Media Splitter along with the latest version of FFdshow and using Windows 7 Filter Tweaker to change the default decoders on my Sandy Bridge PC, I am now able to decode AND encode video in Mediacoder using the HD 3000 iGPU on my Sandy Bridge laptop!

To enable Quick Sync encoding:
  • Set the encoder in MediaCoder under Video => Encoder to "Intel Encoder"
To enable Quick Sync decoding:
  • In the ffdshow video decoder configuration, under "Codecs", set the decoder of all formats (where applicable) to "Intel Quicksync". This Includes H.264, MPEG2, VC-1 etc.
  • Use Windows 7 Filter Tweaker to set all "preffered decoders" to ffdshow (without DXVA) and turn off all Windows system decoders under "Tweaks".
  • In MediaCoder, check the "System" box under Video => Source to enable splitting through Haali Media Splitter and decode through FFDshow.
And there you have it! Decoding AND encoding video through Quick Sync using MediaCoder! Although the transcoding performance increase on my system was relatively modest, the CPU load substantially decreased meaning a cooler, quieter and more responsive laptop in the meanwhile. :)

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Intel Media Decoder SDK

Post by stanley » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:58 am

Thanks for sharing this information!
When things work together, things work.

res80
Beginner
Beginner

Post by res80 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:56 pm

This doesn't work on my i5-3317 unfortunately,
only encoding is running on Intel Quicksync,
decoding always sticks to FFMPEG.
I also tried to delete FFMPEG.exe, but then the transcoding fails completely.

Which version are you using? x86 or x64?
Any help would be really appreciated.

I tried MediaEspresso, this works with decoding and encoding using Quicksync, however MediaEspresso supports no DTS decoding :(

Kind regards,
Rüdiger

res80
Beginner
Beginner

Post by res80 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:19 am

Thanks for the instructions.

Unfortunately, it is not working for me here.
However, Media Espresso is working with Quicksync Decoding AND Encoding.
Which OS are you running? x86 or X64?
And MediaCoder and FFDShow?
Also both x64?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Rüdiger

mrk
Beginner
Beginner

Post by mrk » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:42 am

Not working for me as well. It increased the CPU utilization, around 90% from 60%. For me Badaboom and Arcsoft have the lowest CPU utilization from all Quicksync encoders and they are also the fastest.

Avi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Avi » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:59 pm

Could something like this Intel QuickSync Decoder (under the BSD license and described here) be folded into MediaCoder to offload decoding work to the iGPU as well?

Avi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Avi » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:21 am

Avi wrote:Could something like this Intel QuickSync Decoder (under the BSD license and described here) be folded into MediaCoder to offload decoding work to the iGPU as well?
Bump :)

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:56 pm

The easy way to use it with MediaCoder, is installing this special version of ffdshow and setting video source to avisynth in mediacoder.
When things work together, things work.

IRBabuin
Beginner
Beginner

Post by IRBabuin » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:37 pm

QuickSync decoding using LAV filters and MediaPlayer HC. It even allows you to select between CPU/DXVA/CUDA/QuickSync. 1080p decoding without breaking a sweat on a Celeron B815 and DXVA. On CPUs with quicksync is even more spectacular, I tried on i3 2330 and i7 2630, low battery drain, almost no heat (CPU stays at 42C).