Quick Sync decoding while encoding

Discussing about advanced video encoding techniques including GPU encoding, distributive encoding and segmental encoding. Topics are not limited to MediaCoder.
jtdavidson
Beginner
Beginner

Quick Sync decoding while encoding

Post by jtdavidson » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:48 pm

I'm new to MediaCoder, but after an exhaustive search of all the Quick Sync-enabled transcoders, MediaCoder seems to be the best overall.
I'm using it for transcoding on my HTPC, which has a low voltage 2nd Generation Core i3 with not a lot of grunt. But Quick Sync is fast on it.
Now, the other apps I tested (Media Espresso and the like) all offload both the decoding of the original video, plus the encoding of the new video, to Quick Sync. As far as I can tell, MediaCoder is only offloading the encoding. That appears to be slowing my transcodes down a lot (11 minutes on MediaCoder versus 4 minutes on MediaEspresso for the same transcode) due to my slowish CPU working on the decode.
So, my question is this: can I offload the decode to Quick Sync, too? If so, how? If not, are the there plans to enable that feature?

thanks,

John

MediaCoder 2011-R9-5196 with Intel plugin added by MediaCoder during original installation

stevieg21
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Quick Sync decoding while encoding

Post by stevieg21 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:01 pm

I don't know if this will help, but when installing the software there are options for choosing video and audio codecs. There are two packages for Intel Quick Sync and usually only one is selected. You need to choose both. I have a faster processor than you (i7) and it runs very fast with quick sync. I have also found that the mp4 container seems to work best with the Intel encoder. When I choose mkv the display ratio gets screwed up (widescreen doesn't work right).

stevieg21
Amateur
Amateur

Post by stevieg21 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:00 pm

Did you install both the Intel encoder and the Intel SDK during installation? Make sure both boxes are checked under the video encoders during the install.

Slyane
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Slyane » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:48 am

I can confirm this is an issue as well. There is now an FFDShow filter that uses QuickSync for decoding, it's mega-fast and uses almost NO cpu usage at all in the process. Here is a link to the SourceForge project, which includes source code.. It's basically just a simple wrapper that calls the Intel Media SDK for the decoding. Perhaps it could be used in the MediaCoder project? I have confirmed the Intel Media SDK were installed during the installation process.

I still bought a license for MediaConverter from ArcSoft because it does super fast QuickSync encoding (about 2x faster than MediaCoder x64) so its useful for doing simple things such as transcoding home movies to an iPhone, but it lacks the advanced features such as choosing more than 2 b-frames or cropping, etc. So it's not good for transcoding your home library of DVDs. I hope MediaCoder can converge that gap.

Avi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Avi » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:53 pm

For the record, I believe that this topic is discussed in this thread.