Avisynth input encoding fails - error 008

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

rickydavao
Beginner
Beginner

Avisynth input encoding fails - error 008

Post by rickydavao » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:25 am

Good day, eh! Just downloaded MediaCoder this morning and was hoping to use it for some avi to avi recodes (for standalone player compatibility). I'm recoding anime, and have spent some time putting together a nice little avisynth script that removes noise, darkens lines and sharpens the image just nicely. I have tested this script just fine in WMP, VirtualDub and even AllToAVI, and it seems to work just fine. However, MediaCoder fails immediately with a 008 error, which is apparently an audio problem. The avisynth script does, however, play just fine in MediaCoder's play feature as well as in the picture effects feature. Tried using a simple 1-line script opening my avi with both avisource and directshowsource, and MediaCoder failed with the same error. Tried to disable audio in the audio tab to no avail. Is there something I'm missing? The quality using the built-in filters is still exceptional, but I'd really like to get the extra crispness that my script provides, so being able to use an avisynth script in this software would really be great. Any help would be appreciated ... thanks!

B!ink
Expert
Expert

Post by B!ink » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:20 am

Change source to AviSynth (uncheck auto-select box) under Video Tab.

rickydavao
Beginner
Beginner

Post by rickydavao » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:30 am

Thanks for the quick response, Blink. Yes, I had tried that already (changing the source to avisynth under the video tab), bit I still get the same error. I am using exactly the same settings I used to successfully generate an xvid avi earlier, except that I'm now using an avisynth script for input. Interestingly enough, everything is greyed out on the audio tab except for "enable audio", which I find odd since when I play the script in MediaCoder, there is audio. I have tried it with both audio enabled and disabled with the same result. Also tried disabling multiplexing with the same result. One thought I just had ... I am using avisynth 2.5.8 alpha 1 (I'm pretty sure I didn't upgrade to Alpha 2 yet). Do you think this might be the problem? Should I uninstall avisynth and go back to an earlier stable version? Which version is MediaCoder tested for? I guess this might be the issue ... let me know what you think - thanks! :D

rickydavao
Beginner
Beginner

Post by rickydavao » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:37 am

Quick update - I don't think it's avisynth, or at least the version. I uninstalled version 2.5.8 Alpha 1 and reinstalled the stable 2.5.7 release and I'm still having the same problem. Also confirmed that the settings I'm using are the same that I've successfully encoded an avi file directly for, except that audio settings are greyed as before. Tried source as avisynth in video tab as well for avisynth 2.5.7.

rickydavao
Beginner
Beginner

Post by rickydavao » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:16 am

Ok, did a search of the forum and found this:

viewtopic.php?t=868&highlight=avs

I uninstalled the latest version of MediaCoder and installed the pre-8a version, which I believe is 0.6.0 build 3520 ... and koolcracker is right, the pre-8a version handles my avisynth scripts ok. Which begs the question: why is avisynth support still broken since pre-8 up to this current release? This is an amazing program, beautifully designed, powerful, and does almost anything you can think of (will definitely be my encoder of choice from now on, regardless), but avisynth is still pretty darn popular for a lot of users, so avs support (or at least the ability to modify the scripts within the program, although I'm not sure if avisynth is used at all within MediaCoder) is kinda important. A possible fix for the next release will be eagerly awaited by myself and many otehrs, I'm sure.

airish571
Beginner
Beginner

Post by airish571 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:44 am

I had the same issue with the "008" error message. Following the above advice I went here to the download page and downloaded "MediaCoder 0.6.1.4045 (relatively stable version)". This install was able to convert .flv just fine.