2 GPU / Card with MediaCoder: SLI or not?

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

neumeier
Beginner
Beginner

2 GPU / Card with MediaCoder: SLI or not?

Post by neumeier » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:27 am

GTX 295: a slightly older, but powerful graphics card, even today: 2x 900 GFlops, 2x 112 Gb / s, 2x 448 bit interface, 2x 240 CUDA Core. You are viewing: 2x everything, because the card has 2 GPU.
Now the problem: In CUDA, it means that you should turn off SLI, then "sees" CUDA GPU 2 and can use them, in the composite (SLI) only one.
However, the CUDA driver must be written so that it supports 2 GPU.
I have now tried a lot: Apparently MediaCoder supports NO 2 cores, since the results when encoding are the same.
However, the values ​​even slightly higher (3%) than in a strong GTX 480 with a core.
Therefore, the suspicion that there is MediaCoder matter whether SLI or 2 individual cores.
Or else, the performance boost from a graphics card is so small that it is not noticed if only half works 295 or both cores.
By the way: A GeForce GT 630 with 384 cores is not slower ... a € 40 Office Card!

Does anyone here have experience with 2 cards or cores?

HuggiL
Modest
Modest

Re: 2 GPU / Card with MediaCoder: SLI or not?

Post by HuggiL » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:38 am

To the best of my belief, MediaCoder doesn't support more than one GPU for CUDA encoding. I have no way to test this myself though as I use an AMD Crossfire setup currently.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Tips & Guides: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Older versions: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2 GPU / Card with MediaCoder: SLI or not?

Post by stanley » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:43 pm

SLI is not supported.
If you can setup CUDA decoding on your system, you can accelerate a bit by off-loading decoding to GPU by using AviSynth as decoder in MediaCoder.
When things work together, things work.