Help with AviSynth and overlays.

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

JP2010
Beginner
Beginner

Help with AviSynth and overlays.

Post by JP2010 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:23 pm

Hi been using media coder for a few days only.

Its a shame that i cant find anything on here like the other basic tutorials that cover using avisynth.

In fact i downloaded avisynth, but i am not sure if mediacoder does it's own thing, of even if one need it. But either way mediacoder always fail's with an error 13 when i select it.

So can anyone help as to a basic guide for taking an avi and using avisynth making a overlay like a tv logo would appear. I sure a lot of people would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

encroder
Modest
Modest

Re: Help with AviSynth and overlays.

Post by encroder » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:45 am

The easy way would be to get a gui for avisynth over at videohelp. Run the gui set for logo removal etc, save the script file. Load it into mediacoder > AviSynth > Use Script Template and process with it. Which reminds me i have guis and avisynth, i really should set that up sometime for use to do tasks with mediacoder. ;-)

JP2010
Beginner
Beginner

Post by JP2010 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:30 am

Hello,

actually its not logo removal was looking for... but rather its logo addition. That said i did find / cobble up this script, which looks right as far as i can tell.

video = DirectShowSource(“$(SourceFile)”)
logo = ImageSource("C:\Users\HP\Desktop\Recorded\Untitled.png")
logomask = ImageReader("C:\Users\HP\Desktop\Recorded\Untitled.png",pixel_type="RGB32").ShowAlpha(pixel_type="RGB32")
Overlay (video, logo, mask=logomask)

but i notice two things that may/do cause problems.

1) In the blog entry http://blog.mediacoderhq.com/how-to-use ... ediacoder/ has the setting "use Avisynth for decoding if possible", that I assume has just been removed in the latest version? Not necessary any more?

2) Given that above script, converting from an uncompressed avi to a mp4 etc always gives the message
"Failed to load AviSynth. It is possible the decoder is absent or it doesn't support the specified file"

There is.. avsinput.exe and avisynth.dll ..in the codecs directory.

But I am at loss as to how to get mediacoder to
a) recognize them as I assume as i downloaded "full" it would have done that?
b) get it to execute any script at all.

So some help on this items that level would be appreciated. Thanks.

encroder
Modest
Modest

Post by encroder » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:57 am

Not sure as said i haven't played with it all yet. Look for avisynth forums or wait for a possible reply here.

What gui did you use to make the script.

JP2010
Beginner
Beginner

Post by JP2010 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:16 am

Yea i'll wait, but i get a funny feeling avisynth is not working, or there are some important instructions missing... everything else no problems just avisynth. Strange.

gui = notepad + rename txt

encroder
Modest
Modest

Post by encroder » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:35 am

Probably as you say 'some important instructions missing'.

Maybe by using a software gui that interfaces with avisynth could be another good choice.

encroder
Modest
Modest

Post by encroder » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:45 am

Good idea, but not if ever need to turn off the subs as it won'r be possible to do.

Did you try posting to an avisynth forum for help with this ?

JP2010
Beginner
Beginner

Post by JP2010 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:25 pm

Hi guys

yes, i did post been waiting for some kind of reply but its come to naught. pity but there it is.

It also a pity that the docs on (just my luck) the whole avisynth system is probably the least (if any, no blame, just a fact) documented option of MediaCoder. IMHO is about the biggest gap of the whole project. As I really think MediaCoder does a great job, one that should be supported, but i suppose that's a chicken and egg situation.

I think the subs is an option, but not really a solid one, if as i bet someone will not want to lock out subs for overlays etc as then it maybe a case of one or the other. You just know that'll be on the cards.

All I can hope for is that one day someone who understands the integration of MediaCoder and AviSynth can take the time to write up some docs or even a tutorial. In the mean time i think I'm probably better looking at a commercial product. Which as i said is a pity as donations probably would help MediaCoder.

As before Chicken and Egg. Or is it Catch 22 ?

encroder
Modest
Modest

Post by encroder » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:00 am

Or you could also try with vlc as the video source, then click on source button next to it and add in the Extra Options. Which you will find in the vlc manual, i looked there after last posting here and saw add logo overlay. Even a way to disable logo overlay easily if don't need it. Though i guess you want to butcher the video and have it permanment.

Yet if you cannot do it with that use many others such as adobe or virtual dub etc, search the internet for video logo overlay. could even be done using graph edit with an overlay logo dx filter.