MC 0.7.5.4702 full problems. With captures (jpg)

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

Luisppk
Amateur
Amateur

MC 0.7.5.4702 full problems. With captures (jpg)

Post by Luisppk » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:04 pm

Well, as i offer... i came back.
I'll try 4500... bad luck. So... i wait 4600.
I'll try 4600... bad luck. So... i wait 4700.
I'll try 4702... thinking xx00 too much bad luck... oh! surprise, surprise! bad luck too!

I try to encode an avi video without audio, to the same one with subs (srt) and black borders, just to watch it in my standalone dvd player.
First... it last about 2 hours to encode a 28minute video(2 pass). And... almost doubles the final time of the result video. As you can see in the next images, it ends in a 42minute video.

With great patience and dedication I do all the job just to show my frustation.

1,2 : video and mediacoder data. ↑

3,4 : Subtitle and picture data. ↑

5: Clipping and effects window in Picture thread. ↑
6: This is how the MC player shows my avi video file. Anyone can see a video there?
The white line inside the '6' mark, is where it is supposed to be the subtitle (srt).

The source file and the transcoded one. Do you noticed the time difference? ↑
Also, you can see there is another file (i don't know why) with the same name, but 'M4V' extension. I'll remind you that i try to encode to avi.

So...
This time i just wait an answer before i expect 4800. Hope get better luck then.
Thks for 4475. I still using it. Good job!

L.

StormChaser
Beginner
Beginner

Re: MC 0.7.5.4702 full problems. With captures (jpg)

Post by StormChaser » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:22 am

Luisppk wrote:I try to encode an avi video without audio, to the same one with subs (srt) and black borders, just to watch it in my standalone dvd player.
Hi Luisppk,

This doesn't directly answer your problems, but standalone DVD players don't usually like a horizontal resolution above 720 pixels. Neither do the vast majority like QPel. Try 'File/Revert All Settings', then start again setting those parameters correctly, not forgetting to set your video, audio and container format again.

I see that you're also using the wrong XviD profile, the HD one. Try the relevant Home Theatre profile (NTSC or PAL). Those are aimed at standalone DVD players.

There's no need to sit around waiting for hours to see what the final result will be either. Go to the 'Time' tab and select just the first 5 minutes and transcode that as a test. When you get everything working fine for a short test, the chances are high that it'll work for a full transcode.

Don't worry too much about the subtitles for now. Just concentrate on getting the basic transcoding working correctly first, then worry about the subs later. Take things one step at a time. :)

Luisppk
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Luisppk » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:44 am

StormChaser wrote:
Luisppk wrote:I try to encode an avi video without audio, to the same one with subs (srt) and black borders, just to watch it in my standalone dvd player.
Hi Luisppk,

This doesn't directly answer your problems, but standalone DVD players don't usually like a horizontal resolution above 720 pixels. Neither do the vast majority like QPel. Try 'File/Revert All Settings', then start again setting those parameters correctly, not forgetting to set your video, audio and container format again.

Hi stormchaser... thks for the feedback.
As I said before... i try 4500,4600,4702... and also giving thks for 4475... so, that means i'm old mediacoder user. I believe I have started with some 37xx or 38xx version (maybe).
By now, in old faboulous 4475 this settings work pretty fine. Yes, its true sometimes i got trouble with some new video, but its not like the one in here with 4702.

StormChaser wrote:I see that you're also using the wrong XviD profile, the HD one. Try the relevant Home Theatre profile (NTSC or PAL). Those are aimed at standalone DVD players.

Only FYI... my standalone dvd player works fine with this settings. Have already 80 dvd disks burn this way (wirh 4475). Looks great.
I can asure, that is not the problem.
Unless something is already wrong in 4702 version. I'll try it just to be sure. Be back with news about.
StormChaser wrote:There's no need to sit around waiting for hours to see what the final result will be either. Go to the 'Time' tab and select just the first 5 minutes and transcode that as a test. When you get everything working fine for a short test, the chances are high that it'll work for a full transcode.

I did that several times. About 8...
I've been forced to do the long way just to see its results. (3 times)
This is when i noticed about the 'extend' time. From 28 minutes to 42.
StormChaser wrote:Don't worry too much about the subtitles for now. Just concentrate on getting the basic transcoding working correctly first, then worry about the subs later. Take things one step at a time. :)

Obviously i try without the subtitle... Its just Mediacoder can´t simply do it. Neither show a merely common xvid avi video in its 'Clipping and effects' player.
For me... NOTHING HERE WORKS.
Thats it.

Also, i bring here images of that. Just to proof my point of view and feed information, so everyone can see the problem.
I'm hoping somebody knows what happened.
If someone needed... i can also post the link to download the file (for testing).

Thks again.

L.

----------------------- EDIT-------------------------------

Last news!
4702 install, destroys old good 4475. Now i can´t get back to use it. I got a message about xulrunner not been able to work with 1.9.1.2. Just between 1.8 and 1.9.1.
So... goddbye good old mc 4475!!! thks for your services! Very much appreciated.

Now... I'm searching new transcoder...
Any suggestions?

encroder
Modest
Modest

Post by encroder » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:54 am

As StrormChaser has said better to test transcoing to a small clip 2 minute for example, where there is plenty of talking. Set this using the Picture>Effects> In Time 0 and Out Time 1 min. Also agree Forget about subtitles until have a working test clip.

Video
Encoder - Xvid

Xvid > Profile > Unrestricted Or Use Advanced Simple Level Profile 5

No Qpel
No Global Motion Compensation (GMC)

Container
Avi
Multiplexer - FFmpeg
Also try with Multiplexer auto

Audio
Not shown try with
Source - Auto
Set an Encoder
Set a Format

After test is ok and plays back in your player, then test for adding subtitles.

When final test plays ok, reset the clip time's Picture > Effects > (untick and Apply), transcode the file - done.

Luisppk
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Luisppk » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:23 am

encroder wrote:As StrormChaser has said better to test transcoing to a small clip 2 minute for example, where there is plenty of talking. Set this using the Picture>Effects> In Time 0 and Out Time 1 min. Also agree Forget about subtitles until have a working test clip.
Mmmm... thks, but i think you fail to read the answer above yours.
Luisppk wrote:
StormChaser wrote:There's no need to sit around waiting for hours to see what the final result will be either. Go to the 'Time' tab and select just the first 5 minutes and transcode that as a test. When you get everything working fine for a short test, the chances are high that it'll work for a full transcode.

I did that several times. About 8...
I've been forced to do the long way just to see its results. (3 times)
This is when i noticed about the 'extend' time. From 28 minutes to 42.
This next one, also is answered before.
encroder wrote: Video
Encoder - Xvid

Xvid > Profile > Unrestricted Or Use Advanced Simple Level Profile 5

No Qpel
No Global Motion Compensation (GMC)

Container
Avi
Multiplexer - FFmpeg
Also try with Multiplexer auto

Audio
Not shown try with
Source - Auto
Set an Encoder
Set a Format

After test is ok and plays back in your player, then test for adding subtitles.

When final test plays ok, reset the clip time's Picture > Effects > (untick and Apply), transcode the file - done.
Luisppk wrote:
StormChaser wrote:I see that you're also using the wrong XviD profile, the HD one. Try the relevant Home Theatre profile (NTSC or PAL). Those are aimed at standalone DVD players.

Only FYI... my standalone dvd player works fine with this settings. Have already 80 dvd disks burn this way (wirh 4475). Looks great.
I can asure, that is not the problem.
Unless something is already wrong in 4702 version. I'll try it just to be sure. Be back with news about.
Luisppk wrote:
StormChaser wrote:
Hi Luisppk,

Hi stormchaser... thks for the feedback.
As I said before... i try 4500,4600,4702... and also giving thks for 4475... so, that means i'm old mediacoder user. I believe I have started with some 37xx or 38xx version (maybe).
By now, in old faboulous 4475 this settings work pretty fine. Yes, its true sometimes i got trouble with some new video, but its not like the one in here with 4702.

------------------------------News--------------------------------
Since I completely lost my dear 4475 by installing (bad) 4702.... I prove with 4640 and so far so good.
It pretty works all the way and give me the results I need.
I don't have to change anything about the info in anyway... Just like 4475, 4640 seems to work fine. I still need to prove more intensively to give a thumbs up, but in the meantime, it gives me hope. (Really important issue)

So by now... so long, good old 4475! Thks for all your services.
Born by mediacoder... die by mediacoder...

L.
pd. Thks for all. No more feedback is needed.

Suggestion: 4702 needs URGENT review!

encroder
Modest
Modest

Post by encroder » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:54 am

Luisppk wrote:
Encroder wrote wrote:: As StrormChaser has said better to test transcoing to a small clip 2 minute for example, where there is plenty of talking. Set this using the Picture>Effects> In Time 0 and Out Time 1 min. Also agree Forget about subtitles until have a working test clip.

Mmmm... thks, but i think you fail to read the answer above yours.
Then i don't know how 'As StormChaser has said' got into my post. While adding how to setup times for small clip, and agree about no subtitles untill test clip works !

Since you know you can do this with 4475 look here viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6917

Mediacoder is dependant on the codecs, and other tools. If any are bad more often will affect the process, or not process. Changing the affecting codec or other will cure the problem if using a better version. This would also be found if search the forum. For example source on video set to auto will use ffmpeg, it is known for a while now that ffmpeg is bad. Search the forum you will find what version of ffmpeg is the best one to use until current ffmpeg is stable again.

Luisppk
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Luisppk » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:26 am

All right...
If some codecs are known to be bad... Why are they stil being used?
And more important... Why do i have to be the one to search which one works?
Do you understand what are you asking for me to do?
Basically, i have to download... install... tryout... in case it didnt work (most probably)) repeat all again.
I really don't have the time to inmortalize me in front of the pc.
For me is as simply as... this works or not? If not, then look to another.
If this program proofs to be more trouble than solutions, maybe its time has come. What else can i do? Who (user) pushes a program that troublesome?

Certainly, i'm grateful for all the services of 4475 (RIP) but if their brothers don't keep the good job... eh? what do you expect will happen?
How much time wasted in errors?
As I said, i'm really grateful, and thats why i'm still trying to made it work. Others... just turn their back with no remorse.
At least, i'm concerned.

I'll be here for a while. Still trying (and battling) a little bit longer. Hope won´t be in vain.

L.

encroder
Modest
Modest

Post by encroder » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:58 am

Don't know what you mean RIP 4475 as it's still available to download and use, as are many other mediaocder builds. The deatils i posted earlier for you is here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9332&start=0#p28362 in this same thread.

You know that 4475 works best for you need it for, far easier to get it again. And use it until mediacoder has a fixed buld that allows you to use a newer build.

Btw:
All mediacoder builds so far are beta builds, as such it's better not to expect every release to work for everything.
Last edited by encroder on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luisppk
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Luisppk » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:31 pm

luisppk wrote: ----------------------- EDIT-------------------------------

Last news!
4702 install, destroys old good 4475. Now i can´t get back to use it. I got a message about xulrunner not been able to work with 1.9.1.2. Just between 1.8 and 1.9.1.
So... goddbye good old mc 4475!!! thks for your services! Very much appreciated.

Now... I'm searching new transcoder...
Any suggestions?
encroder wrote: Btw:
All mediacoder builds so far are beta builds, as such it's better not to expect every release to work for everything.
I try to convert from one xvid avi to another... Do you mean a transcoder can´t do that?
Are you serious?

StormChaser
Beginner
Beginner

Post by StormChaser » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:00 am

Luisppk wrote:I try to convert from one xvid avi to another... Do you mean a transcoder can´t do that?
Are you serious?
So are you now saying that the transcode doesn't work even without subtitles?

I think you really need to start following some of the advice you've been given here regarding what settings give you a standalone compliant file, as your original settings are completely broken whether or not they just so happen to work on your specific standalone player... then take it from there.

What happens when your current standalone player dies and you find out that your replacement player is more critical about what it will and won't play, and your non-compliant encodings are no longer playable? It's far better to address that particular problem now rather than later, or you may end up having to transcode everything all over again with a consequent drop in quality if you no longer have the originals.

Try to think this through logically.

Oh, and try calming down a little. You'll live longer. ;)
Last edited by StormChaser on Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.