Converting mkv to avi...

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

rakion166
Beginner
Beginner

Converting mkv to avi...

Post by rakion166 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:20 pm

Ok, first of all, I downloaded 2 mkv files. (Animes) When I transcoded the first file from mkv to avi using custom settings (See below), it worked. The audio was there for the whole video and perfectly synchronize with the video, subtitles were also successfully transcoded. However for the second file, I used the same settings and this time, There was no audio and after about 10 seconds, the video got cut off. During the 10 seconds, the subtitles and animation are still there.

I used the following custom settings:

Video Tab:

Bitrate: I set the Kbps the same as the bitrate below the container in properties.
Format: XviD. (Was already in XviD by default)
The rest are at default.

Audio Tab:

Encoder: I changed from FAAC to LAME MP3.
Format: MP3 (Was already in MP3 by default I think)
Rate Mode: CBR (Was already in CBR by default)
Bitrate: I was planning to set the Kbps the same as the bitrate below Audio (0): AAC, but it was already the same for the second file, I had to set it the same for the first file through.
The rest are at default

Container Tab:

Container: AVI (Was already in AVI by default)
The rest are at default

MediaCoder Version: 0.7.3.4640

Anyone can help me? :)

encroder
Modest
Modest

Re: Converting mkv to avi...

Post by encroder » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:27 pm

Had the drive filled up with files, with this bug viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9272

What happened when you transcoded the second file alone, did it transcode or still stop ?

rakion166
Beginner
Beginner

Post by rakion166 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:30 pm

encroder wrote:Had the drive filled up with files because of this bug viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9272

What happened when you transcoded the second file alone, did it transcode or still stop ?
It transcode successfully. But when I play the video with VLC / Windows Media Player, the audio wasn't heard but the video keeps playing with all the animation and subtitles synchronized till around 10 seconds and it just goes back to 0:00.

encroder
Modest
Modest

Post by encroder » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:04 pm

Bad mkv file maybe, you would need to verify the file to know that. Try different combination of options in mediacoder, if the file isn't correct another combination could work.

Try with audio copy. With mux auto or disabled or with another muxer.

If file is large set the time direct using the time set for 0:00:00:000 and below to 0:01:00:000 (= 0 to 1 minute clip). Or use the Picture > Effects and set it there. Sure to make at least 1 minute more would be better to see if error happens again. When think it's ok and need to do full transcode, reset time to zero for both, or untick time boxes in Picture > Effects.

rakion166
Beginner
Beginner

Post by rakion166 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:08 pm

encroder wrote:Bad mkv file maybe, you would need to verify the file to know that. Try different combination of options in mediacoder, if the file isn't correct another combination could work.

Try with audio copy. With mux auto or disabled or with another muxer.

If file is large set the time direct using the time set for 0:00:00:000 and below to 0:01:00:000 (= 0 to 1 minute clip). Or use the Picture > Effects and set it there. Sure to make at least 1 minute more would be better to see if error happens again. When think it's ok and need to do full transcode, reset time to zero for both, or untick time boxes in Picture > Effects.
Can't be because the file is large since my first file was 350mb and my second file was 280mb only. Maybe like what you said, it's a bad mkv file? o.O

encroder
Modest
Modest

Post by encroder » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:19 pm

But easy to adjust time so only transcode to a small clip output while testing. For the audio copy and muxer options that i suggested.

Or you could use the full file time and wait until it stops each time, either way will work.

A bad file maybe or it's good, that is made different to the first file. Which would explain the need to use different options for it in mediaocder.

rakion166
Beginner
Beginner

Post by rakion166 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:38 pm

encroder wrote:But easy to adjust time so only transcode to a small clip output while testing. For the audio copy and muxer options that i suggested.

Or you could use the full file time and wait until it stops each time, either way will work.

A bad file maybe or it's good, that is made different to the first file. Which would explain the need to use different options for it in mediaocder.
So what are the suggestions you can give me to solve my problem? I'm not that familiar with MediaCoder, so I don't really know what is audio copy or muxer options or using the full file time and wait till it stops each time.

JEskandari
Amateur
Amateur

Post by JEskandari » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:11 am

many times had this problem. I found choosing another source in video and audio tab in many cases solve my problem

encroder
Modest
Modest

Post by encroder » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:08 am

True and it sems to be with the audio, or the mkv.

If you can copy the properties from mediacoder for the file here. Meanwhile waiting for more help from the forum. You could try these below, to while away some time, maybe you get lucky and it transcodes.

you could look to find an mkv to avi preset here before trying those options below. It may be different to the setup you had previously and work for your file. Before loading a preset be sure first you save the currrent setup as a preset, instructions are on the same post.

If no preset or you want to try again a few times, try these below.

Audio > Copy (ticked)
try transcode again

Container > Multiplexer > auto
try transcode again

Container > Multiplexer > disabled
try transcode again

Container > Multiplexer > enabled
using different muxer > ffmpeg or mp4box or mp4creator try transcode again rpt for each different Multiplexer from the drop list.

rakion166
Beginner
Beginner

Post by rakion166 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:05 am

Here's my properties of the second file:

[Anime Title]
Container: Matroska
Bitrate: 1627 Kbps
Duration: 1444.0 secs
Size: 280.0 MB
Overhead: 12.9%