MediaCoder : False Positive for Malware?

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

dasjournal
Amateur
Amateur

MediaCoder : False Positive for Malware?

Post by dasjournal » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:32 pm

Hi there,

Althougth this has been covered in an old thread, I thought it necessary to ask anyway.
The TrendMicro scanner detected three plugins used in MediaCoder 0.7.3.4685 x86_32 as containing malware (specifically PAK_Generic.001). I ran Malwarebytes' Antimalware, Norton 360, and a few other programs, and they do not pick up anything. Is this a false positive, and can be ignored?

encroder
Modest
Modest

Re: False Positive for Malware?

Post by encroder » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:26 am

They should normaly be ignored, it could be special packer they are using. The problem with all virus, malware, trojan and spyware tools is they don't know many file compressors so cannot check them.

The best thing to do is upload those files to an online site such as http://virusscan.jotti.org/ Pack the files in a in a rar, zip etc file, upload and wait for the results. If high percent passes ok, it's assumed they are ok.

dasjournal
Amateur
Amateur

Re: False Positive for Malware?

Post by dasjournal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:55 am

encroder wrote:They should normaly be ignored, it could be special packer they are using. The problem with all virus, malware, trojan and spyware tools is they don't know many file compressors so cannot check them.

The best thing to do is upload those files to an online site such as http://virusscan.jotti.org/ Pack the files in a in a rar, zip etc file, upload and wait for the results. If high percent passes ok, it's assumed they are ok.
Nothing came up on the Jotti tests. On another similar testing website, only the TrendMicro engine picked up anything. I'll see how it goes...

encroder
Modest
Modest

Re: MediaCoder : False Positive for Malware?

Post by encroder » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:14 am

Good to know you found them to be false positives :)