lossless A/V cutting?

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

lossless A/V cutting?

Post by boardersparadise » Thu May 13, 2010 4:01 pm

(Edited by admin to delete advertising link)

Hi. As MediaCoder supports lossless stream copying, I wanted to ask if the program also allows for lossless video cutting, i.e. lossless extraction of a part of the source video. (Because I don't think I could just remove parts of a file at any arbitrary point via a hex-editor ... right?)

If this is not possibly currently, are there any plans for this feature in the future ?
Thanks.

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Re: lossless A/V cutting?

Post by boardersparadise » Sun May 23, 2010 4:14 am

oh, I didn't know that "copy stream" can be combined with the "time" feature.
Well that would be great.
Anyway, in this case we have to wait until "copy stream" is properly implemented for audio and video (assuming that by "copy stream" you mean in fact "copy audio" and "copy video")

PS: Accusing me of having posted an "advertising link" is a bit ridiculous. I have been on the board for quite a while and have even contributed to help others by posting guides in the guides subforum. And based on my rather poor A/V knowledge you can judge for yourself that I can't be in any way affiliated with a commercial A/V product, isn't it? Are links to other programs forbidden in general, or are only links to freeware products allowed??

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Post by boardersparadise » Sun May 23, 2010 8:43 am

OK, thanks for confirming.

As for the link, I rechecked the TOS again, and OK, seems I have forgotten this ... you refer to "Commercial advertising or links to "paid for" products is not allowed." right? You know, when you are active on several forums, it's sometimes hard not to forget the different rules which apply or don't apply. Anyway ... sorry.
So freeware links are allowed though?

Before posting I have searched for about half an hour to find *any* program with such a functionality, and this was the only one that I found. And given that the concept is very unknown (at least I had never heard of it with regards to video ... even for mere audio and such a widespread format as mp3, ony a handful of programs seem to exist, like mp3directCut), I thought it would be good to show that I'm not just fantasizing ...
mixer wrote:perhaps a better (non commercial) link would be better
I'm just asking because until MediaCoder implements the feature, I could need such a program:
Do you know any such non-commercial link ?

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Post by boardersparadise » Sun May 23, 2010 10:12 am

ok, many thanks for your infos. And I will do my best not to forget the rules.
mixer wrote:a guide for program called VirtualDub that splits, joins...
...losslessly ?

PS: I think a separate thread for this is overkill, so as side-note:
I couldn't find a way to increase the display of postings per page (currently only 6), is there no option in the "board preferences" ?

ladycoder
Expert
Expert

Post by ladycoder » Tue May 25, 2010 11:14 pm

Virtual Dub has a Direct Stream Copy option, it only works for avis, however. The most important thing to note when using this or any program that edits copies is that you can only choose a start point at a key frame (I). Usually you can place the end anywhere.

You can also append parts together of the same video. If you remove parts within a video you must cut at key frames as well.