how to convert wmv's to use in itunes

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

smwoodward
Beginner
Beginner

how to convert wmv's to use in itunes

Post by smwoodward » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:09 pm

Hey guys, I currently have 100+ dvd's that were ripped to wmv's with 5.1 surround sound. I am new to itunes, and now want all of my movie files to be converted to be used in both itunes and zune, while also being able to be played on an xbox 360 and windows media center. it seems that mp4 is what I need to rip them to, but I do want to preserve the 5.1 surround sound. can anyone help me out on what settings to do for mediacoder as I am new to this software, and don't really know how to use it.

smwoodward
Beginner
Beginner

Re: how to convert wmv's to use in itunes

Post by smwoodward » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:28 pm

mixer wrote:This has been posted and talked about here many times. Start by using the search box. You may also want to try some of the presets. If you still run into problems (after searching), post again. For the basic starting setup, you'll be converting any format to mp4/h.264 with mp

This also may give you a start: http://blog.mediacoderhq.com/using-medi ... e/#more-98

As for other players, search them by name.

As for 5:1 sound, not all audio settings support it. The ones that support 5:1 multichannel will have to also work in your players (many do not). Each conversion, depending on the player may be different.
Also, if the file is copy guarded or copy protected, then you may not be able to convert it at all.
I have searched for different things search terms, and haven't found anything that really answers my question, hince why i asked it. I know that I will need to start with mp4/h.264, as this is the only format that is compatible with both itunes and zune, and will also play on the 360 through the dashboard and Windows 7 Media Center, and if I tell it to do copy stream for the audio, I don't get any to play back on the computer, but it will convert. if I try other settings (which i can't remember right off hand as I am at work), the lower left hand corner says that it is converting, but it just sits that way, and doesn't open up the preview window and never converts.

so here is another question that I get the feeling of the answer, but really don't find a direct answer. Will iTunes do ANY conversion of the video files at all?????? With the Zune, I had all of my videos in a wmv format, with 5.1 sound, that would play across the zune, zune software, xbox and media center, and if i wanted to put the movie on my Zune, the software would convert it as needed to work on the device. This way I would not need to have two copies of the same movie.

Ytterbium
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Ytterbium » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:21 am

Did anyone get any further with this, I'd like to make an MP4 file with 5.1 AAC which should be possible but media coder doesn't like it.

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:43 pm

An MP4 output with 5.1 AAC should be possible in MediaCoder. It will depend on what settings you choose.
Also, realise that 5.1 sound will need a higher bitrate than stereo. 320 kbps is recommended for quality.
iTunes (iOS devices) prefer H.264 video (x264 encoder), also referred to as AVC.

You may need to experiment to suit your requirements and I suggest you start with the suggestions given in the Encoding Guide listed under Tips & Guides (link below). Then, start changing the values one by one until you are happy.
There are other Guides there that may prove useful. Have a look.
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

endeavorfrazer
Beginner
Beginner

Post by endeavorfrazer » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:10 pm

I use iDealshare VideoGo to convert WMA, FLAC, OGG, WMV, AVI, FLV, MKV, MPG etc to iTunes for iPad, iPhone, iPod with this easy guide www.idealshare.net/itunes-quicktime/wmv-to-itunes.html

endeavorfrazer
Beginner
Beginner

Post by endeavorfrazer » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:10 pm

I use iDealshare VideoGo to convert WMA, FLAC, OGG, WMV, AVI, FLV, MKV, MPG etc to iTunes for iPad, iPhone, iPod