audio delay (when converting to MP4/h.264/mp3)

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

audio delay (when converting to MP4/h.264/mp3)

Post by boardersparadise » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:22 pm

Hi,
I converted a .vob file to .mp4 (with h.264/x264 codec) and lame mp3 audio, and I get audio delay.

I've found a couple of threads about this issue, but most of them were older (and didn't mention a solution anyway).
is there no way to solve this issue?
Because when playing back the source file with mplayer, there is no audio delay!

many thanks.

(edit: I've seen the "audio delay" settings in miliseconds, but apart from it being a cumbersome method, it simply has no effect on the audio delay!)
Last edited by boardersparadise on Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Re: audio delay

Post by boardersparadise » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:23 pm

video quality is amazing by the way ! :D

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Re: audio delay (when converting to MP4/h.264/mp3)

Post by meRobs » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:24 pm

In the builds 4399 and 4490 and, I gather, in most others, entering an audio delay on the Time tab (as 'Audio delay') or on the Sound tab, which has a Delay (of what?) does nothing.
This is because, as soon as a conversion begins the value on the Time tab is overwritten by the value under Settings > Overall > Audio options > Delay of audio ...
The default for this parameter is zero.
To apply an audio delay, select (click on) this parameter and enter the desired delay in the panel at bottom left.
Then hit Apply.
A B** nuisance, but it works!
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Post by boardersparadise » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:14 pm

thanks so much for your help, which is most valuable!

But why is there an audio delay (bearing in mind that mplayer has no delay during playback!)
And how can it be prevented in the first place ?

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:18 pm

I think you'll find that most VOBs have a 'video delay' value in their header/tag, listed under Audio, which I gather is applied by a player to give sync.
The first VOB of a Title set, such as VTS_02_1 will often have zero delay, and so is not stated, but, the others, VTS_02_2, etc, will have larger values, such as 534 ms.
In practice, I would enter an Audio Delay = the video delay (maintaining the sign).
Currently, this must be done manually using Settings > Overall > Audio Options.

One day Stanley may arrange for the Audio delay entered on the Time tab to be kept (and not overwritten by the zero value under Settings) or even (wishful thinking) have it added automatically from the Properties!
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Post by boardersparadise » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:24 pm

meRobs wrote:I think you'll find that most VOBs have a 'video delay' value in their header/tag, listed under Audio, which I gather is applied by a player to give sync.
The first VOB of a Title set, such as VTS_02_1 will often have zero delay, and so is not stated, but, the others, VTS_02_2, etc, will have larger values, such as 534 ms.
In practice, I would enter an Audio Delay = the video delay (maintaining the sign).
Currently, this must be done manually using Settings > Overall > Audio Options.
excellent insights and explications there!!!
most appreciated.

I will try your method and post the results here later on.
One day Stanley may arrange for the Audio delay entered on the Time tab to be kept (and not overwritten by the zero value under Settings) or even (wishful thinking) have it added automatically from the Properties!
support++

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Post by boardersparadise » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:34 pm

meRobs wrote: The first VOB of a Title set, such as VTS_02_1 will often have zero delay, and so is not stated, but, the others, VTS_02_2, etc, will have larger values, such as 534 ms.
Okay, so how do I find out the VOB's audio delay now ?

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:52 pm

I use the freebie 'MediaInfo', which reads a file's tag data. Once installed, a R-click on any media file should offer to open it in this App.
For a VOB, the video delay existant in the file is indicated under 'Audio delay', presumably, because to achieve sync this would equal the sign and magnitude of audio delay needed.

Stanley uses MediaInfo in MC to indicate file data in the Properties panel, although, for some strange reason he dosesn't include the Video Delay value!!?

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Post by boardersparadise » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:57 pm

meRobs wrote:I use the freebie 'MediaInfo', which reads a file's tag data. Once installed, a R-click on any media file should offer to open it in this App.
For a VOB, the video delay existant in the file is indicated under 'Audio delay', presumably, because to achieve sync this would equal the sign and magnitude of audio delay needed.
Excellent info, thank you meRobs !!
Stanley uses MediaInfo in MC to indicate file data in the Properties panel, although, for some strange reason he dosesn't include the Video Delay value!!?

You anticipated my next question :)

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Post by boardersparadise » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:50 pm

Okay, I figured out where the audio delay comes from! There is no audio delay for a single audio track. But if I use dual audio tracks (with ALL other settings, incl. video settings unaltered), I get some seconds of audio delay.

I think I should file a bug report for that.
?
Last edited by boardersparadise on Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.