how to convert DVD(multiple vob files) to single video file?

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

how to convert DVD(multiple vob files) to single video file?

Post by boardersparadise » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:19 pm

Hi folks,
I am making my first steps with MediaCoder, but can't find a way to convert a DVD to single video file. I have copied the DVD's .vob files to my hard disk, but what's next ... ? Because from what I can see, MediaCoder will convert each .vob file separately, but I need a single final video file.

What do I have to do ?
Thanks a lot!

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Re: how to convert DVD(multiple vob files) to single video file?

Post by boardersparadise » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:58 pm

Thanks for your help, mixer.
Sorry, but what do you mean by "go back and re-rip to a single file" ... ?
The DVD consists of several .vob files and I just copied them to my HDD.

OK, I see ... I can right-click and choose "group". Didn't know that this was going to join the videos.
But why does it "sometimes" work .... shouldn't it *always* work ?

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:49 pm

If you rip with the freebie DVDshrink you can choose under Preferences to uncheck "split VOB files into into 1 GB chunks", ie, they will rip to one VOB file!

Some Builds/versions of MediaCoder may not Join/Group the files, but it's easy to try.
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Post by boardersparadise » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:12 am

meRobs wrote:If you rip with the freebie DVDshrink you can choose under Preferences to uncheck "split VOB files into into 1 GB chunks", ie, they will rip to one VOB file!
interesting.
But judging from your text only, DVDshrink wouldn't necessarily join the .vob files, just because it does not split them ...
Anyway, would this be a simple bit-wise annexing/appending or is there any video conversion involved ?

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:01 am

boardersparadise wrote:DVDshrink wouldn't necessarily join the .vob files, just because it does not split them ...
DVDshrink will join them without processing if the Target DVD size is set to DVD9 (8.5 GB) under Preferences. In any case the level of processing/conversion is indicated in its R panel by the value of 'Compression' (100% means none).
You will end up with 1 large VOB!
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Post by boardersparadise » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:19 am

meRobs wrote:DVDshrink will join them without processing if the Target DVD size is set to DVD9 (8.5 GB) under Preferences. In any case the level of processing/conversion is indicated in its R panel by the value of 'Compression' (100% means none). You will end up with 1 large VOB!
good to know, many thanks meRobs!

Gringo
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Gringo » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:02 pm

There is a way to load DVD Tracks into MediaCoder.

This should get you started... play with it a bit to find the bugs / features... I do not have a DVD disc at this time but as I recall a list of tracks will be displayed when you have multiple tracks to choose from... Like the main movie track, dvd extras, etc.

Try this method.

boardersparadise
Modest
Modest

Post by boardersparadise » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:11 pm

Thanks a bunch for all your work posting those screenshots.
Actually, I *can* add DVD files, that's not the problem. The question here was about converting them into a single video file as opposed to 10-15 of them (... who would do that with his/her favorite movie ? :D )