Volume Spike (converting MP3's to other bitrate)

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

HMdude3
Beginner
Beginner

Volume Spike (converting MP3's to other bitrate)

Post by HMdude3 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:09 am

OK, I've dug and dug thru the forums, and only find brief mention of the nasty volume spike the normalization causes in the beginning of audio files.

So 2 questions, is this intentional to make you get a paid version, and if not, then how do I fix this?
I have use this on many audio files, and now need to correct this on them. If anyone has any idea how to do this that would be great, I have tried other more advanced tools that say they correct it, but they do not.

HMdude3
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Volume Spike

Post by HMdude3 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:53 am

Well, I just updated to the newest build 7.4493.
I was just using the included Lame to transcode mp3s to a different bit rate.

HMdude3
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Volume Spike (converting MP3's to other bitrate)

Post by HMdude3 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:50 pm

Well, thank you for your response, still no luck correcting the spike so I just reaquired the files. I'm using the newer version with the Shibatch audio filter, and normalize mode 1, and do not seem to be having the same problem now. Only reason I am transcoding these mp3s is they come in a rediculously high bit rate like 320, regular audio just doesn't need that high of a bit rate, 128 is supposedly equal to CD quality, so I like to keep my stuff around 192 for the little bit extra sound quality with out bloating the file unnecessarily as some of these go on a mp3 phone so every bit of conserved space is that much more I can cram on it. I think I tried Audacity before and wasn't impressed with it. But my main goal is just to reduce the mp3s to a more reasonable bit rate without having to decode all the way back to wave and back up to mp3.