Conversion: stuck w/ error 008 (AVI/Mjpeg >for BluRay)

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

sremick
Beginner
Beginner

Conversion: stuck w/ error 008 (AVI/Mjpeg >for BluRay)

Post by sremick » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:46 am

Newbie alert. :)

My task tonight was to play the video files off my digital camera on my BluRay player via USB drive. Playing them as-is didn't work, so I realized I needed to convert them somehow. Some research lead me to MediaCoder, so I'm trying to figure out how to at least get this tool working for this specific task.

Source videos are in AVI container format. Video codec is "IBM Motion JPEG" according to VideoInspector (640x480, 30fps, 13.9 Mbit/s bitrate). Audio is "Microsoft PCM Format", mono, 44.1KHz, 706 Kbit/s.

My BD player will accept the following containers:

* AVI (Audio Video Interleave)
* DIVX Media Format
* MKV (Matroska)
* MPG (MPEG-1)
* VOB (Video Object)

And the following video codecs:

# AVC (H.264/MPEG-4 AVC)
# DIVX
# MPEG-1
# MPEG-2
# XviD

And the following audio codecs:

* AC3 (Dolby Digital)
* AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) (not HE-AAC)
* DTS (Digital Theater System)
* LPCM (Linear pulse code modulation)
* MP1 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer I)
* MP2 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer II)
* MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3)
* WMA (Windows Media Audio) (not WMA Pro, Lossless or Voice)

Good info so far?

I don't want to resize/resample the video or audio, just convert this into something my BD player will play. I did some reading and figured I wanted to shoot for H.264, in either AVI or MKV, with either MP3 or AAC audio. But I'm open to suggestions to just make this work, because I've tried various combos and I just can't. Everything fails with an error 008 which appears to be an audio error but I can't get enough details to find more-specific info to work with, and all the other audio codec and container options I've tried haven't helped.

One hint might be the fact that I can't play the source video in MediaCoder. But it'll play in VLC.

Can anyone hold my hand a bit on this first attempt at using MediaCoder so I can at least get these files converted and hopefully learn something in the process for future conversions? Thanks.

BikeHelmet
Amateur
Amateur

Re: My first conversion: stuck w/ error 008

Post by BikeHelmet » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:07 am

VLC has its own internal codecs. Internal, so MediaCoder can't use them.

Download GSpot and check which part of the vid is failing - audio or video. After doing that, you need to locate a codec that can decode it, so that your vid is playable in WMP or MPC-HC. Once you've done that, it may work in MediaCoder.
-BikeHelmet

sremick
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sremick » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:10 am

BikeHelmet wrote:Download GSpot and check which part of the vid is failing - audio or video.
Ok, did that... but nothing appears to be failing. I confess I've never used GSpot before so maybe I'm missing something... I've attached a screenshot:

After doing that, you need to locate a codec that can decode it, so that your vid is playable in WMP or MPC-HC.
WMP plays the videos fine. I downloaded MPC-HC and it plays them too.

What next?

BikeHelmet
Amateur
Amateur

Post by BikeHelmet » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:27 am

sremick wrote:WMP plays the videos fine. I downloaded MPC-HC and it plays them too.

What next?
Err...hmm... I have no clue. I'm a newbie user too, with my own problems... :P

When I got error 008, one time I was missing the codec, and another time it couldn't figure out how to convert 44.1khz Stereo to 22.5khz mono.

MediaCoder uses its own encoders/decoders, stored in the codecs subfolder. One of them being out of date could cause issues - but I'm not sure what you can do about that. I updated to the latest version (from 0.6.1) and issues transcoding one troublesome video went away. But my experience isn't totally relevent, because when I split the audio and video apart, the audio converted fine. (the video didn't)

I don't really have any good suggestions, but I do have more info.

m3jp2k32.dll - "Morgan M-JPEG2000 VFW codec" - v1.3.1.0

That's probably the file causing the issues. Check to make sure it's in your MediaCoder\codecs subfolder. If it is, then... it doesn't like your source video for some reason? Maybe there's an update available? (doubtful) Or maybe installing an alternative would do something? (doubtful)

I have no clue - I'm just tossing out ideas. Another idea is to save your settings, reset to default, and see if it transcodes into just about anything before the settings get messed up. Sometimes specific encoders despise specific settings, but it's an utter pain finding the culprit setting.

PS: Try mkv or mp4 container, x264 encoder, 3GPP AAC+; that combination seems to transcode fine every time I try it, while other (incompatible) container and codec combinations sometimes throw errors. (usually 012 or 014)
-BikeHelmet

sremick
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sremick » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:21 pm

Well you gave me some good leads, thanks.

Where the heck did you get m3jp2k32.dll from??? :P I don't have that.

Anyhow... I tried downloading that other Motion JPEG file you linked to, and installed it. I then copied its DLL (mcmjpg32.dll) into MediaCoder's codec folder. I then launched MediaCoder, but it gave me an mplayer.exe error that it couldn't find libiconv.dll. I looked, and there was a libiconv-2.dll in there for some reason. I wonder if the MJPEG codec did that...? Anyhow, I renamed it to libiconv.dll and then MediaCoder started fine. Not only that, but now MediaCoder can play the original AVIs!

So I tried the transcoding again... this time I didn't get an error 008, but it churned for a few moments and now I get an error 013:

* Description: A video source error is encountered
* Possible causes:
o The active video source cannot decode the input file or device
* Solutions:
o Try other video sources

BikeHelmet
Amateur
Amateur

Post by BikeHelmet » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:13 pm

sremick wrote:Where the heck did you get m3jp2k32.dll from??? :P I don't have that.
Ahh! It's missing?

I believe I checked the "Extra Decoders" option when installing. Maybe that's why it is present?

Either reinstall with that option ticked, or grab the file from somewhere and throw it in the codecs folder. Then report back if it's working now. :)

I have two computers, and the file is in the codecs folder on both.
-BikeHelmet