Issue transcoding an AVI file off a Nikon S210

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

sleazyd
Beginner
Beginner

Issue transcoding an AVI file off a Nikon S210

Post by sleazyd » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:37 am

I'm having an issue transcoding the video out of my Nikon S210. Video isn't an issue, but the audio will fail. The format of the file is:

Code: Select all

Audio
Format                           : PCM
Format settings, Endianness      : Little
Format settings, Sign            : Unsigned
Codec ID                         : 1
Codec ID/Hint                    : Microsoft
Duration                         : 17s 66ms
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 64.0 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 1 channel
Sampling rate                    : 8 000 Hz
Resolution                       : 8 bits
Stream size                      : 133 KiB (1%)
Interleave, duration             : 948 ms (28.44 video frames)
Interleave, preload duration     : 1000 ms
I'm doing the transcode to get the file into Vegas (which can't deal with the video). The file plays in WMP, and in MediaCoder. Any ideas on how to fix it or avenues to explore? I've tried a few combinations of output format and audio format, but keep coming up with either muxer errors (15) or FFMPEG exiting unexpectedly.

Thanks.

sleazyd
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Issue transcoding an AVI file off a Nikon S210

Post by sleazyd » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:17 pm

mixer wrote:You're saying the original file from the Nikon is an AVI with what audio (PCM?)
What are you trying to convert to for Vegas?
Yes. The original file is the AVI from the Nikon with PCM audio.
I usually go into Vegas using either MPEG2 (audio and video) or AVI (huffyuv (video) and Waveform (audio).
I tried going the MPEG2 route at first, but FFMPEG got cranky. I just tried your AVI suggestion, but it did not like the video stream. The error it's giving me in the preview is "Stream attributes could not be determined". Any other settings need to mangled to get the huffyuv stream through? Vegas is pretty flakey on Vista x64 so I wouldn't be terribly surprised if this was the case.

sleazyd
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sleazyd » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:12 pm

Ok, thanks. I think the issue here is that I have all the x64 codecs installed and Vegas is only picking up the 32 bit ones. I didn't catch the link you tried to post, but I'll see if I can't google around for it. Thanks much!

sleazyd
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sleazyd » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:11 am

Thanks for the info. It worked well for getting Vegas to play the huffyuv files.

However, I did some more searching and learned a few things about it:
  • Vegas uses VFW, not the direct show codecs
  • The codec pack I was using (Vista codec pack) did not have the VFW config screen available
  • You can install the latest 32-bit ffdshow on top of the one installed by vista codec pack and it works fine. This gives you the VFW config screen and filters if you select them
  • You can turn on Motion JPG, huffyuv, and just about every other codec from there without installing the single codec.
Just sharing so if other people have that problem they don't keep scrating their heads about what was up.