How to render subtitles into video from sub streams?

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

bowa
Beginner
Beginner

How to render subtitles into video from sub streams?

Post by bowa » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:00 am

Hi & thanks for an excellent program!

How do I RENDER BUP/IDX subtitles into my h264 video ? I DO NOT want to go via SRT files, neither downloaded (never syncs correctly) nor via OCR (I don't have the time to check every line). I have read 50+ postings where people suggest using SRT, but this is NOT a valid option here! Why rip to SUB, OCR and render back from text to bitmap again? Senseless and error-prone!

From my DVD I create an MKV file containing unmodified MPEG and AC3 streams. I usually use MakeMKV or similar tool. I rip the subtitles with VobSub and get BUP and IDX files which I name exactly as the input video/audio MKV.

I configure MediaCoder for h264, and the Subtitle tab automatically fills with the correct <filename>.sub file path.

BUT I NEVER get the subtitles rendered into the final video! What am I doing wrong?

As a curiosity, I have no selections in the Font dropdown. It's empty. But should it matter? I believe the encoder should take the subtitle bitmap from the SUB file and render it into the video frame. And I don't understand why this should be so complicated? It seems as almost every freeware and paidware tool fails on this?`

Running MediaCoder 0.7.1.4430 on Windows 7 RC 64bit.

Thanks for your assistance,
BoWa

dott
Modest
Modest

Re: How to render subtitles into video from sub streams?

Post by dott » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:04 am

bowa wrote:Hi & thanks for an excellent program!

How do I RENDER BUP/IDX subtitles into my h264 video ? I DO NOT want to go via SRT files, neither downloaded (never syncs correctly) nor via OCR (I don't have the time to check every line). I have read 50+ postings where people suggest using SRT, but this is NOT a valid option here! Why rip to SUB, OCR and render back from text to bitmap again? Senseless and error-prone!
Not agreed, vobsub is a "rigid format" and it's awful rendered by mplayer, srt or ssa or even sub(MicroDVD) achieve far better render output.

Anyway you have to chose manually the *.idx subtitle file in order to see the subtitles on the preview windows and in the resulting video of course.

But my advice is that you use, after the conversion, "mkvmerge GUI" or if you a brave one mkvmege CLI, both from mkvtoolnix, and mux the vobsub stream in the mkv file. I don't understand the need of render the subs on the video is an Irreversible path

bowa
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bowa » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:46 pm

Many thanks dot!

The reason for rendering the subtitles into the file is that there are still many media players (like my Samsung LED LCD) that does not render subtitles from sub files. There is NO WAY you can get the subtitles on the screen without render them into the film itself.

And there is a LOT of high quality film out there in other languages than English. Unfortunately I don't speak Hindi or Mandarin or Icelandic, so I need the subtitles.. :D

So I just wonder why there is an option in Subtitles in MediaEncoder that says "Render" and then automatically selects the sub file?

BR / Bo

dott
Modest
Modest

Post by dott » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:52 am

Yes, I understand the need of subtitles, I my self speak Castilian(Spanish) and beyond read and ~~write my English is not so good, plus the 80% of the movies and others that I see are in English, another 10% are French, Italian, Japanese etc.

There is an option for render or not, and it does select the subtitle automatically but the .sub extension is the problem, since MicroDVD(text sub format) and VobSub(image sub format) have the same extension but VobSub need to use the .idx file on the mediacoder's subtitle filed unless MicroDVD

mlavende
Beginner
Beginner

Post by mlavende » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:11 pm

bowa wrote:Many thanks dot!

The reason for rendering the subtitles into the file is that there are still many media players (like my Samsung LED LCD) that does not render subtitles from sub files. There is NO WAY you can get the subtitles on the screen without render them into the film itself.

And there is a LOT of high quality film out there in other languages than English. Unfortunately I don't speak Hindi or Mandarin or Icelandic, so I need the subtitles.. :D

So I just wonder why there is an option in Subtitles in MediaEncoder that says "Render" and then automatically selects the sub file?

BR / Bo
Hi,

I have a Samsung LED TV (UE46 B7020). I have found it is possible to use srt files to display but it's not obvious since the subtitle button on the remote doesn't work. You have to use the tools menu item, scroll down to subtitles and adjust the size. Then they display. I think that's what i did. I'm at work now so I can't confirm but I'll check tonight if you like.

Nice TV though!

-Mat