Been searching EVERYWHERE! (change audio pitch/speed)

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

rchrdcrg
Beginner
Beginner

Been searching EVERYWHERE! (change audio pitch/speed)

Post by rchrdcrg » Sat May 30, 2009 1:54 pm

I cannot believe I can't find a solution to my problem anywhere... I've searched everything I can think of. Let me explain...

Sometimes when you download, for instance, a movie, it comes from a PAL release, meaning that the movie, originally shot at 24 fps, is running at 25 fps to sync up with PAL televisions. These look and play just fine on any computer in any country at any refresh rate, but the problem is that the movie is now sped up by one frame per second, including the audio. Yes, both the audio and video are now sped up by 4 1/6 % (that's four and one-sixth percent).

Is there ANY WAY to take a video such as this and either convert it or play it back at 24fps with the audio also adjusted back to its original speed? I mean it's literally as simple as playing the video at 96% of its speed, but the ONLY thing I can find that will do this is, of all things, Xbox Media Center on my freaking Xbox! It has a specific option labeled "Play back PAL videos at NTSC rate", which does exactly this... you can even see in the status box, during the loading of a video, there is a command being sent to XBMC's mplayer... if there's even a freaking command line option for mplayer to just play back the video at 96% of its original speed.... omg, I'm so at my wits' end over this! The only thing I can find in Media Coder is to select "Copy Video" and set the framerate to 24fps, but of course the audio is still running to match a 25fps video, so it just keeps going gradually and radically out of sync... I don't know how to get the audio to slow down along with the video.

Also, please understand, I mean to NOT preserve the pitch of the 25fps' audio... because it has already been converted from 24fps to 25fps, the audio is already playing back not only faster but at a slightly higher pitch... I want that audio to go back down to its original pitch, not just be slowed down alone... you could literally just play back 48kHZ audio at 46.08kHZ and achieve the correct speed.

I feel like the answer to this should be so simple because ultimately what's happening really is simple... just playing the file back at a slower speed, no special extra processing required... JUST slower... sorry, but from searching Google, it seems like others have asked this same question only to be totally misunderstood, so I just want to be as clear as possible.

Please, can anyone help me?

ladycoder
Expert
Expert

Re: Been searching EVERYWHERE!

Post by ladycoder » Sat May 30, 2009 2:34 pm

Have to find a program that changes the tempo of the audio.

ladycoder
Expert
Expert

Re: Been searching EVERYWHERE! (change audio pitch/speed)

Post by ladycoder » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:45 am

Belight or Besweet Gui. Don't bother trying with mediacoder. You need to change the tempo of the audio and alter the header info to read the video at a different framerate.