Persisting problem when transcoding mkv

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

aarelovich
Beginner
Beginner

Persisting problem when transcoding mkv

Post by aarelovich » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:02 am

Hello:

First of all I'm new here so hello to everyone.

Second I've been using Media Coder for years now, (literally) to transcode fansubs of anime series to a Divx StandAlone DVD player supported formats. So I'm always trying to go from something to xvid with mp3 in a AVI container.

HOwever throughout my years of usage and all of the versions of Media Coder I've allways come up with this problem when dealing with certain mkv files. Right now I'm trying to transcode an MKV contained x264 (Reads as V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC in the properties window of the MediaCoder) video stream with ACC audio (At least that's what MKV Demux tells me, although MediaCoder has it as A_Vorbis) with a ssa Subtitle track. So I did what I always do. Unmux the subtitle track and tell MediaCoder to transcode the file to a XVid 80% Quality Base setting and CBR 128 MP3 audio adding the subtitle track since I never figured out another way to get the subtitles muxed in from the same file. Also I had to resize the image from 848x480 to 720x400 because other wise my dvd player tells me HD not supported. It works fine except for the fact the the transcoding stops always at about half way through. Roughly 10 minutes of a 23 minute video with no error or anything that I can see. The program just tells me it's done.

This problem as I have said has been persistent throughout all releases that I have tried of media coder when trying to transcode certain types of MKV files (I can't remeber if the they all have something in common or not because I hand' t needed to transcode anything in a long time thanks to fansubs usually making two type of files one for a nice viewing and the other for stand alone DVD players).

I have allways solved this by recoding the audio a video separately and then multiplexing it with AviMux. However this is both bothersome and time-Inefficient for more than a couple of files.

Is there anyways to fix the problem I mentioned? Is this a know bug or what?

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

Nighthawk1
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Persisting problem when transcoding mkv

Post by Nighthawk1 » Mon May 04, 2009 10:07 am

Try this! Here is the "best" presets I have found for MKV files: (will be in MPEG2 format though, works for me and compression is good!)
Video: Enable Video, Format = MPEG2, Mode = Bitrate-based 5000kbps
Audio: Enable Audio, Source = Auto Select, Encoder = FFmpeg (copy audio unchecked), leave rest as default
Container = default
Picture: Resize = Original, Crop = Disabled, Frame Rate = Original
Sound = Stereo
Demuxer = default
Subtitle = Disabled (unless you want them)
Time = Set this for any approx 2 min part of file (just for testing until you are sure settings will work for you, then when ready to transcode full file = all 00's)
Text = All off
All else is default

Try it out and let me know :D
Nighthawk1 (true newbie)

aarelovich
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Persisting problem when transcoding mkv

Post by aarelovich » Mon May 04, 2009 12:20 pm

I haven't got acess to my machine right now but I'll try it.

However I do need to resize the picture in order to see it in my DVD player and are you sure if MPEG2 is stand-alone DVD complient?

Thanks for the help anyways