Fraps .avi to a Mac format for iMovie - no compression?

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

setcamper
Beginner
Beginner

Fraps .avi to a Mac format for iMovie - no compression?

Post by setcamper » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:02 am

Someone suggested I try MediaCoder for converting my fraps footage to a file format that iMovie will accept (.mp4, .mov)

It's fairly simple to do by just clicking on the extensions tab and following the UI for creating an iPod file or AppleTv. My problem with this simple method is the compression, which I'd like to avoid during the conversion and compress later.

How can I convert the .avi (fps1) to an uncompressed .mp4 file? Is that possible using MediaCoder? Does that make any sense?

setcamper
Beginner
Beginner

Post by setcamper » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:58 pm

Thanks for your reply. My goal is to edit uncompressed footage on my Mac using iMovie from FRAPS. Unfortunately iMovie is very picky about what file formats it will accept and off the top of my head I think the only ones it likes are .mov and .mpeg4 (.mp4 containers are fine).

I'm using MediaCoder's "Extensions Tab" to transcode (is that the right word for changing format?) the footage for an iPod because I know the end result will be compatible with iMovie, although, as you said, the file will be severely compressed for that device. I'm not sure what my end result is yet, but I'd like the option of editing a high quality video and then compressing later, rather than editing compressed footage- maybe that's a flawed idea anyway...

I've tried selecting that "video" tab at the bottom, choosing the MPEG4 format and a MP4 container and hitting start but when I copy the file over to my Mac it gives me an error. When I try to open on my PC I get "Error -2041: an invalid sample description was found in the movie (name.mp4).

Clearly I'm out of my league using this program, but if you could give me any assistance, I'd be greatly appreciative. Although I have no problem editing the compressed footage I have, I'd love to keep my options open if I really know I want to keep the footage at a high quality.

setcamper
Beginner
Beginner

Post by setcamper » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:39 am

Thanks Mixer. Just playing around with the "Video" tab I've successfully created files that Quicktime likes- the h.264 and a .mp4 container.

I really can't tell the difference between the "Modes" other than file size. When I crank "Quality" all the way up to 100 I get no picture, but at 75 it looks identical to "Birate" maxed at 20,000 kbs.

Regardless the file size comes down well under 1/10th of the original and looks quite similar.

The links you provided seem specific to maximizing quality in a small size, whereas I'm not really concerned with size. Let me know if you have an other tips, but for now I'm fairly happy with what's happening.

Cheers.

naturalbeautyboy
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Fraps .avi to a Mac format for iMovie - no compression?

Post by naturalbeautyboy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:01 pm

in order to import fraps video to imovie, we had better convert and compress fraps avi to imovie more friendly mpeg-4 format

the following is a step by step guide on go to convert fraps to mp4 for imovie at http://www.bigasoft.com/articles/conver ... ideo.html

jemeseen
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Fraps .avi to a Mac format for iMovie - no compression?

Post by jemeseen » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:20 pm

You can use Avdshare Video Converter to to convert iMovie exported video file to AVI, MOV, FLV, WMV, 3GP, etc.