Does this thing work at all?

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

raj
Beginner
Beginner

Does this thing work at all?

Post by raj » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:14 pm

I read about MediaCoder in a magazine and thought it will be a great tool. Tried to install it and... it WOULD be a great tool indeed, if it worked!

I tried to install version 0.3.9-20060607 (it was included on a disc with the magazine) first. The program started, but it's hard to use it, because the "Add File" button does not work - clicking it gives absolutely no effect. "Add Dir" works, but I don't want to add a whole bunch of files just to try the program!
Meanwhile, I found out that clicking "Add Track" hangs the program up. Also, settings aren't saved - I changed a few options, exited the program and on the next run the default options were again in effect.

Enough bugs for just a simple try. So, I got the newest version (0.5.1-pre1), installed it, started and... got the Windows message about the program crash because of invalid operation. Tried uninstalling and installing the program several times, always with the same effect.
Tried version 0.5.0-r2. After starting the program, a message window appears telling that "Preference data cannot be loaded" and the program exits (at least it doesn't crash like the 0.5.1 version). Version 0.5.0-pre10 behaves similar, only the message box tells "Fatal error". This is independent of whether I install the program with XULRunner or without it.

My system is Windows 98SE, I have Firefox 1.5.0.6, the system is clean, without any viruses, malwares etc. Probably the program developers aren't using 98 anymore, all run XP or something like this and don't test the software on other Windows versions thoroughly, but I suggest you to doing so because lots of people are still using the older systems (for me personally, 98 is the favorite Windows version and I don't want to switch to XP or 2000). As for now, MediaCoder is completely unusable on my system.

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:33 am

First, the default distribution is for CPUs with SSE support (I just assumed people should use a newer PC to do transcoding). If you are using an older PC (without SSE), please update with th i686 update.
When things work together, things work.

raj
Beginner
Beginner

Post by raj » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:46 am

I have a Celeron CPU so it's not an issue.

vulpecula
Beginner
Beginner

Post by vulpecula » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:18 am

raj wrote:I have a Celeron CPU so it's not an issue.

Celeron below 533Mhz is Pentium II based, which is without SSE.

raj
Beginner
Beginner

Post by raj » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:02 am

But it's a 2 GHz Celeron and the diagnostic programs clearly indicate that it has SSE and SSE2

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:16 pm

please update to build 2428.
When things work together, things work.