which file extension is needed for universal DVD?

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

LadyRags
Amateur
Amateur

which file extension is needed for universal DVD?

Post by LadyRags » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:20 am

I finally broke down and got a digital Camcorder... JVC / EVERIO gz-mg330. I have downloaded my pictures into the computer and have done simple editing in Sony Movie Making. I have copied to DVD-R discs but I am unsure which type of extension will be universal to be able to play them on any style DVD.

Is DVD-R the correct type of disc?

What file extensions can I use? Which one can play on the majority of the DVDs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to use my clips as Chistmas Cards to the grandparents, aunts and uncles.

Thank you
Lady Rags

LadyRags
Amateur
Amateur

Post by LadyRags » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:07 pm

Thank you for your help, Mixer. I always find your information helpful and I usually copy and paste it to a word file then print it out so I can remember and follow your instructions better.

I have Sony Vegas Movie mixer loaded on my computer and am using it to make small movies from my clips. I have been going step by step adding comments, titles, credits to the clips.

I want the DVD to play on the home entertainment center. My problem is I do not know which extension works best. I have tried several that I though would work but they did not. I am still trying to work through the book page by page... I have a long way to go...( I do have to get some more DVDs as I used up the ones I had)

I have gotten the clips onto the computer so I can work on the movies but I want to share them with my sister and great Grandma.

My choices for extensions are :
MPEG-1
MPEG-2
QT 7
Real Media9
Video for Windows and
Windows Media Video v9

For playing on a home DVD entertainment unit which one do you think would be better?
I know there has to be some standard file extensions that should work.
Lady Rags