Significantly larger filesizes when producing MP4 in new ver

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

Entity
Amateur
Amateur

Significantly larger filesizes when producing MP4 in new ver

Post by Entity » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:05 am

Hi,

I had been using 0.6.1.4190 for a long while to produce MP4s of screencasts. The settings we used are pretty basic, quality-based @ quality 60, 15FPs, and we've saved a preset for those settings and have stuck by them for a long time.

I recently upgraded to 0.6.2.4225, and have found that the filesizes are SIGNIFICANTLY larger. For example, a recent vid with a resolution of 1600x768 was 76,967KB when produced using the older version, but is 135MB when produced using the same presets and the new software.

I uninstalled the old version and installed the new version when doing this; I'm going to go back to 0.6.1.4190 until I can figure out if this is fixable. Anyone else have similar problems?

Rob

Entity
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Entity » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:43 am

Anyone have any ideas about this?

Entity
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Entity » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:18 pm

Entity wrote:Anyone have any ideas about this?
I was using a quality-based encode @ 60, profile auto, level 5.1, b-frames 5, supixel 7, predictor frames 5, exhaustive motion est + 16 range. Don't know if any of that helps, just trying to get on track with the new version.

Rob

Entity
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Entity » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:00 pm

mixer wrote:Rob, just to let you know we're thinking about this............

I can't give you much information yet, other than doing what you've already done and resetting (reverting) all settings. I'm sure it has something to do with either a setup parameter or the encoding engine version difference (ffmpeg or mencoder). MediaCoder is pretty much a GUI for these open source programs.

If you really want to dig deep into this you can look at possible bugs here: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html and here: http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/

I always recommend that users stay with the version/build of MediaCoder that works. Many times the newer versions of MediaCoder have bugs to work out due to the newer versions of the "ffmpeg" and "mencoder"

As an installation alternative, please read this: viewtopic.php?t=4521

Also you might be able to simply replace an newer version of either "encoder engine (the exe file) with an older one if you like to experiment.
Thanks mixer. For some reason I've never been able to get HE-AACv2 audio working with the profile I use (I can upload it if you'd like) in the older version of Mediacoder, so I'm always anxious to find a new version that works with HE-AACv2 rather than v1. I know there's not a huge difference, but our streams are encoded at 48kbs and I'd like to try other settings at lower bitrates but going lower than that on HE-AAC normal sounds pretty bad. :(

Rob