Standalone Xvid Preset

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

slifer
Amateur
Amateur

Standalone Xvid Preset

Post by slifer » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:05 am

Does anyone have a preset saved for XviD that standalone dvd players can play? Mine always end up with big chunks while the picture moves (such as in a side scroll).

If anyone has settings, it would be greatly appreciated :)

ladycoder
Expert
Expert

Post by ladycoder » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:30 pm

Major:
No Qpel
No GMC

Can be major:
No Packed Bitstreams
No Custom Matrices
Width no greater than 720 pixels

Depends on player:
Square Pixels -- VGA11
0-2 B Frames ---- or stick to 0 for best playback

I use no Trellis, HighQ, Chroma search, etc, but I just want to save time, so no idea if these affect playback.

encroder
Modest
Modest

Re: Standalone Xvid Preset

Post by encroder » Thu May 07, 2009 4:00 pm

Ladycoder can i ask why you prefer not to use the No Qpel (quarter pixel). Is it for encoding speed or for quality.

Also recently i watched a video that had a lot of fog scenes, it was impossible to enjoy it so i deleted it.

What is the best Xvid-avi encoder setting for quality encoding. Quality that can make viewing fog type scenes more enjoyable. Most videos i watch are from either sdtv or hdtv which have been encoded to xvid. This info would help for making better encoder tanscoded videos from original sources. Such as tv caps, which i have many, mainly in sd-tv (standard definition tv).

ladycoder
Expert
Expert

Post by ladycoder » Fri May 08, 2009 6:32 am

If you search will you find that most standalone players do not like Qpel. If the newer ones do you will have to check individually.

I can only assume, since you did not say, that the scenes with fog were very pixellated. Things like rapid movement in fights, fog, steam, rain, fast action in water, take a lot more bit rate. Also the larger the resolution, the more bit rate is needed in these scenes.

If quality settings of 2 with B-frames produce files that you feel are too large, use 2-pass and experiment with bitrates. With 2-pass the bits will be allocated to scenes that need them more.

encroder
Modest
Modest

Post by encroder » Fri May 08, 2009 1:34 pm

Enlarging the video yes that something not easily accomplished with mediacoder. As there is no preview window showing a preview what the output will be like with current crop settings. Needed would be also a slider to forward and reverse through the video as needed. The cropper window is useless for this, it is an idiot (sorry stanley).

Yes fog and such are always difficult with any video compression. I had tried with 9600 bitrate. Thing is it is said the bitrate shouldn't be vbr with xvid which the original video was. So i assumed in the end that would have been the problem. No bother its on dvd as data right now will visit it again at a later date.

Thanks for the qpel info concering video players (some like, some don't). I think if going to process a video do it right first, or make sure have a backup of the original is not replaceable. As dvd players advance so they will i'm sure accomodate for this, already i'm sure they will have done. I will continue to encode with qpel because it does help with the motion scenes more than not using (global motion i don't use).

I set xvid like this for pal
I frames 15
B Frames 2
P Frames (i think it hsould be set to 1)

IPBBPBB so on means 1 P frame ?

BTW file size for me is never a problem as long as is smaller than the original avi or mpeg etc. But if transcoding flv and other such horrible videos then size i don't care as long as the best quality is in the output video. Though i mainly transcode or encode two pass at 2500 for most of the videos i convert as anymore is not needed, more so when the source is good quality.

ladycoder
Expert
Expert

Post by ladycoder » Fri May 08, 2009 2:26 pm

I never use resolution larger than 720 width, and usually less, but I am not concerned with hi-def or blu ray.

Xvid with variable bit rate is not a problem, variable frame rate is something else. Quantizer settings are all variable bit rate, and if you set a large constant bit rate... have done 16000 in the past with Lavc.... the bit rate levels off goes up and down as needed.

It is just that with those tough scenes, if there is not enough time to increase bit rate in one pass, there can be pixellation, so then 2-pass may be necessary.

encroder
Modest
Modest

Post by encroder » Tue May 12, 2009 6:38 am

Seen some settings somewhere lately three pass. Maybe was with xvid encoder itself or some other software, will have to try it.

With the quantizer i have read keep it low as possible even two maybe to high. I have tried and found so far, a lower number quantizer does keep pq better with low values than high.

Will do some more testing with some different avi clips, of differnt bitrates 3000 to 9.856 Kbps to have a better idea.

ladycoder
Expert
Expert

Post by ladycoder » Tue May 12, 2009 9:32 am

Yes, for quantizers 2-3 is good range. With MC the percentage is translated into quantizer settings, so try 91-95% and see what quantizers appear in video setting window.

Quantizer of 1 is overkill it seems, and can lead to files larger than the original.

encroder
Modest
Modest

Post by encroder » Mon May 18, 2009 7:30 pm

Lowest i see is 2 (not seen set to 1 will see as an experiment) and at two the file size can also be larger than the original. Will experiment with the percentages as you suggest. The quantiser need caution with use over do it and end up spoiling the output video, resulting in an overcompressed blocky video. Which on large screen tv, even smaller ones can look horrible, unwatchable, ahve seen many people have converted like that.

encroder
Modest
Modest

Post by encroder » Wed May 27, 2009 12:53 am

ladycoder wrote:Yes, for quantizers 2-3 is good range. With MC the percentage is translated into quantizer settings, so try 91-95% and see what quantizers appear in video setting window.

Quantizer of 1 is overkill it seems, and can lead to files larger than the original.
91-95% do you mean set at 95 for upper and 91 for the lower, would that be the same as 0.90 and 0.95 in real sxvid settings.

The real xvid encoder setting are in single figures for these, while mediacoder are in the hundreds. So is all mediacoder is doing is ading an extra zero to the figure do you think.

Mediacoder original settings are 150 and 100 i take that as quantization can flutuate between 100 to 150.

Are these figures the same as 1.5 to 1 in the real xvid settings ?

Or how do these equate to real xvid settings ?