Difficulty Converting .mov to Anything (also sync issues)

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

Neillithan
Amateur
Amateur

Difficulty Converting .mov to Anything (also sync issues)

Post by Neillithan » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:00 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I would like to share my sincerest gratitude. MediaCoder is an excellent drag and drop program with newbie friendly elements that make suggesting this program to the masses highly attractive. :)

I wanted to experiment with MediaCoder to see how reliable it is and it has occurred to me that it works great if you choose the right combination of decoders settings depending on the file you're trying to convert. Sometimes choosing "auto" for everything isn't the best route. I have discovered this through experimentation.

Basically, I have tried tossing a few different types of videos at MediaCoder and most of them work fine, except for a some. Quicktime .mov files are especially deterring.

I am having difficulty converting or transmuxing quicktime .mov files. The resulting file sometimes does not have an audio stream. Sometimes if I do manage to convert the video, I get video/audio desync issues.

The video I am working with is called: "t_farcry2_e32k8_h264.mov"

The audio is AAC CBR. There shouldn't be a problem with the audio because it's not VBR. However, the video is SVQ3. Maybe the problem has something to do with that?

I tried converting the video to H.264 while copying the audio stream. Desyncing issues occured. The video plays too slow to keep up with the audio, yet the length of the video remains correct.

I tried transmuxing the video from .mov to .mkv but I had the same issue. There were still video/audio desync issues.

I have tried using default settings in MediaCoder by going to File > Revert All Settings and I have experimented with using a different decoder other than "auto". Perhaps I have not chosen the correct source decoder.

Also, I have experimented in the "picture" tab of MediaCoder. I tried turning "fps" off. This did not fix the desync issue. I tried turning FPS on and choosing "30". Still, the desync issue. I'm not sure at this point what I should do.

Is there a special way to convert or remux .mov files so that they result in a stable playable format?

Thanks,
-Neil
Last edited by Neillithan on Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Neillithan
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Neillithan » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:00 pm

This is the information regarding that video.

ImageImage

LadyRags
Amateur
Amateur

Post by LadyRags » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:34 am

Neillithan

I am having the same issues... but the clip you posted can not be read. Can you make it larger and more readable then you might get the answers you seek... I will follow this thread so I can learn from it.
Lady Rags

Neillithan
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Neillithan » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:21 am

LadyRags wrote:Neillithan

I am having the same issues... but the clip you posted can not be read. Can you make it larger and more readable then you might get the answers you seek... I will follow this thread so I can learn from it.
It's a thumbnail. Click it.