Beyond Newbie have no idea what I am doing(mov to wmv &

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

LadyRags
Amateur
Amateur

Beyond Newbie have no idea what I am doing(mov to wmv &

Post by LadyRags » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:25 am

History:
I am a Nonnie of a 6 mo old grandchild. I want to record and share my film clips (.mov) from my KODAK EASY SHARE camera with my family. None of them seem to have QUICK TIME player and for some reason WINDOWS MEDIA will not show the clips on their computers. MY daughter can see them because she also has the same camera and software loaded, but no one else can view the clips. Even my hubby can not view the clips on his computer. UPSHOT IS I CAN NOT SHARE MY VIDEO CLIPS.

Contacted Kodak they said I needed a video converter but would not recommend one. ( They do not want to be responsible for a poor functioning program. )

I bought SONY VEGAS MOVIE MAKER... guess what they can not read the clips either... and I can not figure out why.... guess they do not like Quick Time either. I was going to download the QUICK TIME PLAYER but it said it was a 9 (which would end up to 30 plus hours of download.) Do not think that will solve the problem cause I would have the program and once again no one else would.

Went to Kim Commando and she supplied this link. I downloaded the program ( on dial up, aren't YOU impressed?) after 20 hours of dedicated attempts.

Now that I got the program I can not find the help manual and I can not figure out how to change the codes to .avi or ANY CODE, Windows Media will read.

QUESTIONS:

Where is the manual / help on the program. I would be willing to read ( not that I will understand it ) the manual or help file... YES I READ AND PRINTED OFF THE CONTAINERS AND CODECS but so far it is GREEK to me. totally foreign language. I am going to re read it before I come back here.

Are there any books that would help me ... something like VIDEO CODE CONVERSIONS FOR DUMMIES.

Does this program only work on the INTERNET? or can I operate it off line?

How do I convert my .mov files to a use-able file for WINDOWS MEDIA as all the family seem to have those programs for viewing clips.

Thank you for answering my rant.

I am totally frustrated and lost but refuse to give up.
Lady Rags

LadyRags
Amateur
Amateur

Post by LadyRags » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:34 am

So far this is what I have done
I have saved a couple of mp4 files but they do not have the audio with them. I have not yet save them to try loading to my DH computer.. I figure if they wont work on mine they wont work on his.

Steps

File >>> find folder and select desired clip

On Media Coder :

Select the audio conversion tab first ….
Clicked on windows media

Default setting / enable audio checked / and auto audio boxes checked

Select Video box

Mode >>> quality based

Format >>> MPEG4
CONTAINER >>> MPG4

Auto select Source and back end boxes

Read but do not change other notations

Generic … select out put folder where you will find your completed conversion clip

I was successful initially but now
I keep getting no file output box I think I am mis matching my audio settings and my video setting. I am trying other combination.

What are the correct codex for

Window media?
avi
mpeg2

My goal is to make computer compatible files but eventually DVD files..
Thank you
Lady Rags

LadyRags
Amateur
Amateur

Post by LadyRags » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:18 am

Thank you for responding. I have already downloaded the QUICK TIME v7 PLAYER. I just did not want to go to the PRO version if I could help it.... I am going CHEAP because I plan to buy a new digital camcorder that I can make my DVD with easier... Believe me I will definitely be more cautious when it comes to buying the camera... it will be all inclusive system.

I have Sony Vegas Movie Maker Editor on my computer but I do not know how to use it yet. It would not read the .mov files... that was why I wanted to convert the files. I was going to make a little movie of the baby's first months of video clips...

I am trying to convert the the .mov files from my KODAK easy share digital camera ( what a misnomer) system to something that will play on Windows Media for my M-I-L. She has a very steep learning curve. I thought I could burn these so they showed on her DVD but on her computer will be okay.

This converter might be the best but there are tooo many variables for newbies to use. I also downloaded AVS4you and it is simple worked okay (not great) but it put a water mark on the videos that it converted. I have to register at $40 buck to get it with no water marks. I down loaded several other converters but can not get them to work.

I think I will give up and take the clips to a professional until I buy my new digital camcorder camera system.

I just do not know enough about the process to be able to use the various converter. I do not understand the terms I am reading to make the proper choices.

ANY GOOD BOOKS... like CONVERSIONS FOR DUMMIES available on the market??? I do not know enough yet but I really want to learn.
Lady Rags

LadyRags
Amateur
Amateur

Post by LadyRags » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:29 am

Mixer

I wanted to thank you for the recommendations of the ROXIO and Nero Programs... I am going to look into both of them. They just might be the ticket.

I think the biggest problem is Apple does not play well with Microsoft so everyone else is stuck with their fight and taking sides.

I think I need to do more research into this whole process. I think I miss the days when I shot my movies on film sent it to the processor then played it on my projector... I still have those films they have been converted to VCR tapes and DVDs so that they can be archived.
Lady Rags