Newbie needs help (Movie Maker)

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

Hero of Avalon
Beginner
Beginner

Newbie needs help (Movie Maker)

Post by Hero of Avalon » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:55 pm

Hi guys. I know, this is probably the most basic of basic things, and anyone who reads this is probably shaking their head going: "WTF is this guy's deal?"

Unfortunately, I don't really have much experience in the different formats and what kinds of things make up the "video". My problem is this: I'm an otaku (an anime fan) who loves to download my unlicensed shows and watch them before they come out in the States. The bad news is, all of my downloads are in .rmvb format which, while good for saving space, is useless for everything else. I'd like to start using some of this stuff for AMVs in Movie Maker.

It probably says how to convert with MediaCoder in plain, simple sight on the Wiki, but like I said before, my area of expertise in the computer environment lies elsewhere. So would someone describe to me how to go about converting from .rmvb to something Media Player and Movie Maker can use in Layman's terms?

Thanks in advance for anyone with the patience to help.

SirAuron
Expert
Expert

Post by SirAuron » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:17 am

Doshi!

For Movie maker you have to use either wmv, pmg or xvid.
Since wmv is the safest bet I will tell you how to transcode your videos into it.

First make sure you are using a recent build (either 4045 or the latest), then go to the audio tab and untick "enable audio" (as I gather you won't need the original sound since you will overlay the video with some music video anyways. Next go to the video tab and select bitrate based as mode, set the desired bitrate (since you have rmvb as source i gather something like 500-800 would be ideal) and set the format to windows media.
Next the container to default and untick the "auto select" and set wm encoder as encoder.

With the latest version I had a weird issue that sped up the video from about 3 minutes to 25 seconds which made everything fast motion like when you press fast forward. Because of that I recommend using 4045 (or up to 4050) for your wmv transcoding.

Do send me a pm with a link once you have your amv done :D
MediaCoder settings:

x264 (backend/source: mencoder, fps: 23,976, Fabio Sonatti's settings) + nero aac 64 in matroska

Hero of Avalon
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Hero of Avalon » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:41 am

Having an issue getting transcoding to proceed. It always says it's started, but it never budges, status-wise. Any idea on a remedy for that?

SirAuron
Expert
Expert

Post by SirAuron » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:20 pm

Did you use "file->revert all settings" prior to applying the settings? It's recommend to make sure everything is the way it should be.
Aside from that you can try out different video sources (like mplayer, mencoder, ffmpeg).
MediaCoder settings:

x264 (backend/source: mencoder, fps: 23,976, Fabio Sonatti's settings) + nero aac 64 in matroska

Hero of Avalon
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Hero of Avalon » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:50 am

Well, this is getting annoying. I did the Revert, but it keeps hanging for some reason. I'll keep trying, but I'm not being cooperated with by the program.

SirAuron
Expert
Expert

Post by SirAuron » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:41 am

Just realized this is in the wrong section, moved so you have a better chance to get help.
MediaCoder settings: