Audio Set for English, but transcode plays in French

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

Gary A. Schmitt
Beginner
Beginner

Audio Set for English, but transcode plays in French

Post by Gary A. Schmitt » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:15 pm

Again, a new user here.

I have one particular set of VOB files that transcode with the audio all in French. I have set the language in the audio tab to english. What should I look for. LAME audio codec selected. All assisance appreciated.

Gary A. Schmitt
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Gary A. Schmitt » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:30 am

Never mind, I figured it out.

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:07 pm

You'd better tell others how you figured it out.

Gary A. Schmitt
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Gary A. Schmitt » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:01 am

stanley wrote:You'd better tell others how you figured it out.

Stanley,

Sorry about that. I guess I should have posted what I discovered, but I wasn't exactly sure I had a complete solution when I posted the "never mind." I have subsequently gone back and confirmed many things.

Transcoding VOB to MPG or AVI was working just fine. It is only when I tried to trancode the VOB (or even the MPG's just created from the VOB's) that was getting audio other than "english." Some times I would get spanish, sometimes italian, some times I would get the director's commentary. At times I would get english for one VOB and then the alternate audio for the others. It was quite inconsistent. And I was only getting this output going to MP4.

What I discovered is (going to MP4);
=======================================

Globally, the language set in the "Language" box in the Audio Tab is largely inconsistent (does not "do anything").

The language that gets encoded (Nero Encoder) pretty random if the "Audio ID" is left set at "0" (default).

To get consistent "english" (or any specific language for that matter) one needs to discover the Audio ID of the audio track desired and enter that track number into the "Audio ID" box of the Audio Tab.

To discover the audio track number you desire, you must play the VOB (or MPG/AVI) in MediaCoder. [PLAYBACK > PLAY]

You then need to toggle the audio tracks until you see and hear the desired output. [PLAYBACK > AUDIO > SWITCH AUDIO TRACK]

You will see the track number displayed in the playback window. You must enter the track number into the "Audio ID" box in the Audio Tab before beginning the transcode. I have found that english is usually track #128, but I have seen it as #137, #1 and others. I have not confirmed this yet over a large number of files.

I have also discovered that the output file is benefited many times by adjusting the volume in the "Gain" box in the Audio Tab. Many of the files I transcode to MP4 the audio comes out pretty low. I usually add 10 dB, and then test the output file to see if this introduces any distortion. I find the audio transcoding, even when adding volume, to be quite spectacular.

========================================

I believe the above would help any users who are experiencing the same. I think I had one transcode that carried no audio, which was rectified by applying the above.

Again, the above is only applicable when transcoding to MP4. I am not an expert in this, but I believe that MPG-2 and AVI take all audio information with them and MP4 (iPod format) carries only one audio track, which must be defined in the transcode process.

I hope this helps.

Gary