Hi! I'd like to enquire how to convert .rm files to .avi

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

kyouta
Amateur
Amateur

Hi! I'd like to enquire how to convert .rm files to .avi

Post by kyouta » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:47 pm

Hey there good day everyone, chanced upon this great software while trying to find an open source converter to convert .rm files to .avi. But i am totally clueless on how to even go about it? Can someone assist me please?

Regards and thanks for your time

ultrakiasu
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ultrakiasu » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:23 pm

You will need to download "Real Alternative" codec.
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Rea ... native.htm

Please ensure that the frame rate of the source and target are the same, or you probably would get audio sync problems.

kyouta
Amateur
Amateur

Post by kyouta » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:59 am

ultrakiasu wrote:You will need to download "Real Alternative" codec.
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Rea ... native.htm

Please ensure that the frame rate of the source and target are the same, or you probably would get audio sync problems.
hihi thanks for the assistance. I am able to convert .rm to avi, however, do u have any advice on the settings such that after conversion, the new file size won't be too big? A 99 mb rm file is converted to 900 mb in my case

Regards~

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:11 pm

Set bitrate

kyouta
Amateur
Amateur

Post by kyouta » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:03 am

stanley wrote:Set bitrate
hi stanley thanks for the assistance! I understand that bitrate refers to quality but however, i tried converting my file with 1k++ bitrate and another time into 172 bitrate, the file size difference is significant but i do seem to see any deterioration in quality. So forgive for being a NooB but what exactly is bitrate?

Regards

j00
Amateur
Amateur

Post by j00 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:14 am

kyouta wrote:
hi stanley thanks for the assistance! I understand that bitrate refers to quality but however, i tried converting my file with 1k++ bitrate and another time into 172 bitrate, the file size difference is significant but i do seem to see any deterioration in quality. So forgive for being a NooB but what exactly is bitrate?

Regards
Yes, lower bitrate = lower quality and smaller file

If you don't see any loss in quality, then you can maybe lower bitrate even more if you like.

kyouta
Amateur
Amateur

Post by kyouta » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:13 pm

j00 wrote:
kyouta wrote:

Regards
Yes, lower bitrate = lower quality and smaller file

If you don't see any loss in quality, then you can maybe lower bitrate even more if you like.
hi thanks for the assistance rendered!

cros13
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cros13 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:35 am

kyouta wrote:

Regards
Quality very much depends on source quality. A higher bitrate will preserve more data from the source, however if the source is low quality over a certain point a higher bitrate will make about as much difference to what you see in your final file as a tail fin on an electric wheelchair.

Its all about finding the balance where you get the smallest file possible at acceptable quality.