Achieving optimum quality/file size from Blu-Ray to H264

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

Luvpeaceguru
Beginner
Beginner

Achieving optimum quality/file size from Blu-Ray to H264

Post by Luvpeaceguru » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:20 pm

I have many Blu-Ray movies in 1080p as ts files from TSremux or TSmuxer. I am trying to transcode into H264 in MKV and to, say, halve the file size.

E.G. Kingdom of Heaven 32.5GB MPEG2. I have set mode to quality and specified 100%. I assume this is 100% of original quality so I would expect the file size to reduce by the substantially more efficient compression of H264. Currently 9% in and it's anticipating a file size of 90+ GB!! That could change of course.

Any ideas/suggestions? Also I've demuxed audio and video with TSmuxer and am inputting mpg file and will mux back in original audio with TS muxer - sensible??

And ts fies that already contain H264 video and VC-1 - best suggestions for reducing file size with max quality please.

No target size option available? It would be useful if one could say 10 -12 GB is OK for a 1080p movie and aim at that. Currently I have more than 3TB of HD movies, many of 30GB plus!!!!

Luvpeaceguru
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Luvpeaceguru » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:54 pm

This shows where I am - 101GB file!!! Seems little point in going any further!!!

Can anyone offer any advice please?