2 VOB files to a single AVI - How?

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

orinoco
Beginner
Beginner

2 VOB files to a single AVI - How?

Post by orinoco » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:46 am

I'm sure this is a noob question, but. .......

I've got a couple of VOB files - as my video is over 1 Gb in VOB format, I've worked out how to transcode to 2 AVI files, but VDUB-MP3-Freeze won't let me join them, it complains about the 2 file having different audio properties.

How can I transcode the 2 VOBs into a single avi?

Thanks in advance

Domi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Domi » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:22 am

you can use dvdShrink to have one VOB or you can encode separatly the two VOB to avi and after join the two AVI with VirtualDubMod

orinoco
Beginner
Beginner

Post by orinoco » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:15 pm

Ahh so VirtualDubMod is the tool for joining those AVI files. I'll give it a try.

I tried the original VDub, but it doesn't like VBR MP3 audio, so I thought I'd try VDub-MP3-Freeze but that complained about the audio as well ......

In the end I went for the DVDShrink method, but that means compressing the input VOBs and thus loosing some quality before I start compressing again into avi format. At least this time the second VOB file was only 50Mb, so it didn't really make that much difference.

Thanks!

Domi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Domi » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:58 am

orinoco wrote:In the end I went for the DVDShrink method, but that means compressing the input VOBs
no, you can choose "without compression"

orinoco
Beginner
Beginner

Post by orinoco » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:27 am

Domi wrote: no, you can choose "without compression"
Hmmm, not sure how that works as the maximim size for a single VOB is 1023Mb...
Domi wrote: join the two AVI with VirtualDubMod "
Tried that and it gave me the same error about the AVI files having different formats. Bearing in mind they were transcoded as a batch job using the same global settings that seems odd.

Domi
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Domi » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:11 am

orinoco wrote:
Domi wrote: no, you can choose "without compression"
Hmmm, not sure how that works as the maximim size for a single VOB is 1023Mb...
The maximuml size of a VOB is not 1Gb. You can make a VOB with the size you want. I'm making that all day et it is a super way to encode DVD with episodes. There are problems with Mediacoder 5.0 (but now, i see that the problem is with avi to avi too)
Domi wrote: join the two AVI with VirtualDubMod "
Tried that and it gave me the same error about the AVI files having different formats. Bearing in mind they were transcoded as a batch job using the same global settings that seems odd.
[[/quote]]

Try to encode with mediacoder :
- set the two VOB
- set the configuration (encoding audio, encoding video)
- start
So, the two avi have a same encoding

be careful to the VOB format. If the the Resolution is different, you must, in mediacoder, set "resize video" (so, the two avi will be have the same resoluton).
fps is the same for the two VOB ?

Other solution : with the two VOB, you make a new DVD (with a DVD author program, like DVDstyler or DVDshrink) to have the files IFO, BUP etc.
After, you use a prog like RI4M (Ripp-it after Me 5). For example, with RI4M, you build the d2V file (menu "Rip a DVD (pro)"), after "générer un fichier D2V" with the biggest IFO). Then, you open this D2V file in "Encode a film (pro)" and encode the two VOB in one avi

orinoco
Beginner
Beginner

Post by orinoco » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:05 am

Domi wrote:
Try to encode with mediacoder :
- set the two VOB
- set the configuration (encoding audio, encoding video)
- start
So, the two avi have a same encoding
That's exactly what I was doing, but Vdub said that the 2 streams had different audio properties and thus couldn't be joined.

The VOBs were the same format, being from the same episode of the New Captain Scarelt childrens show, I wanted to convert them for my Archos......

ladycoder
Expert
Expert

Post by ladycoder » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:05 am

Rip each episode using SmartRipper and set max file size = 4000mb (instead of each VOBsize) or DVD Decrypter in IFO mode - setting = NO FILE SPLITTING.

The VOB will contain the entire episode, size is 2GB or more.

everling
Amateur
Amateur

Post by everling » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:07 pm

Alternatively, you can extract the audio first, compress them, then process the video alone, and finally merge the audio and video streams as one.

Depending on your needs, you might have to calculate the desired bitrates by hand if you did this.

ladycoder
Expert
Expert

Post by ladycoder » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:29 pm

Encoding audio seperately is always a good idea :D