Aspect Ratio

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

contrast
Beginner
Beginner

Aspect Ratio

Post by contrast » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:57 am

I am using version 0.5.0 build 2194.

I have used the preset of the Disc Player (DVD NTSC) and I have not figured out how I can force the aspect ratio. The video that I am getting output is set to 16:9 when I want it to be 4:3.

Is there something obvious I am missing? Thanks for your help.

adlermike1
Amateur
Amateur

can't seem to get help on Aspect ratio...

Post by adlermike1 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:12 pm

contrast,

I just asked a similar question "prob: 16:9 movie comes out vertically stretched" (before I found your posting). For some reason, neither of us are getting any responses. Have you figured it out on your own??

Disappointed as MediaCoder looks very promising. I used to use Vidomi regularily, but development has stopped. MediaCoder has much more flexibility (and the resulting confusion expected with that...).

Really wish I could figure out how to correctly use Aspect ratio settings. Anyone able to help out there?

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:44 am

I will look at this problem seriously. There are always so many things to fix and improve. Sometimes I pick up the most critical ones to solve, and in other times, I just pick up something I have interest. :wink:

adlermike1
Amateur
Amateur

Post by adlermike1 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:39 am

Stanley: Thanks so much for the quick response! Our problem may just be not understanding correct way to use the settings, but so far, I have not been able to get it to work.

If there is any way a newbie can help reduce your workload, let me know!

Good-bad-or indifferent, thanks again for all your efforts to share your hard work with others! :D

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:26 pm

Well first thank you for your will to support me. :)
There are lots of ways to help. For experienced users, contributing some documents will be the biggest help. I set up wiki for this purpose, but unfortunately there is still not much info on it up to this day. For inexperienced users, what can help me is that before reporting an issue or a likely bug, try more cases and more files, and thus get more information about it. That will help me to identify the cause more easily.

adlermike1
Amateur
Amateur

Post by adlermike1 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:52 pm

I will try some more passes and record more detail of settings to see if that can help...

coucou
Beginner
Beginner

Post by coucou » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:56 pm

hi !!!

*** 1st sorry for my english ***

mediacoder set all the mpeg2 video ratio flags (RAD) as 16/9. to fix it
just edit this file : C:\Program Files\MediaCoder\plugins\dev_videodisc.xml

you just have to replace all the "16/9" by "4/3" (just find & replace)
then save the file

now the next time mediacoder will set the ratio flag as 4/3 :)

by the way, mediacoder don't seem to handle avi files larger than 2 gb (media coder stop encoding at 2gb of my 6gb DV file) so if someone knows how to fix it :D thanks (2gb seems to be a avi limitation, but virtualdub handle it)

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:58 pm

That's a quick workaround. I will add aspect ratio as an option in video disc plug-in.

adlermike1
Amateur
Amateur

Post by adlermike1 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:27 am

Thanks for the info coucou. Problem is, I want to just take a 16:9 movie and get 16:9 as the output. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I start with a 16:9 movie and get 4:3 as the output.
Here are some details...

===========================================================================
Trying to encode 1 VOB to XviD+LAME.
SOFTWARE:
Windows XP SP2
MemCoder Version 0.5.0 build 2320 (built on Sun Jul23 11:59:26 2006)
Based on MediaCoder Core build 755 (built on Sun Jul23 11:59:04 2006)
ORIGINAL FILE PROPERTIES:
Codec/String : MPEG-2 Video BitRate/String : 9800 Kbps BitRate_Mode : CBR
Width : 720 Height : 480 AspectRatio/String : 16/9 FrameRate/String : 29.97 fps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.946 Delay : 25257 PlayTime/String : 580h 31mn Standard : NTSC
SETTINGS:
Video Filters/Scaling/Enabled = NO
Video Filters/Scaling/Expanding = NO
selected "REVERT" to ensure set to defaults just in case...

"PICTURE" tab, "Resize Video" set to UNCHECKED
(also tried "Resize = ORIGINAL")

AUDIO OPTIONS:
".\codecs\lame.exe" "$(SourceFile)" "$(DestFile)" --priority 1 -r -x -s $(SampleRate) --vbr-new -V 6 -k --replaygain-fast

--quiet

VIDEO OPTIONS:
".\mplayer\mencoder.exe" "$(SourceFile)" -af resample=44100:0:0 -vf harddup -ovc xvid -xvidencopts

threads=1:trellis:chroma_me:chroma_opt:hq_ac:quant_type=h263:max_bframes=2:me_quality=6:bitrate=$(VideoBitrate) -oac mp3lame

-lameopts vbr=2:q=6:highpassfreq=-1:lowpassfreq=-1 -af resample=44100:0:0 -o "$(DestFile)"

RESULTS: (from AVI Codec)

File: 938 MB (938 MB), duration: 2:12:28, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 56 %
Video : 864 MB, 912 Kbps, 29.970 fps, 720*480 (4:3), XVID = XVID Mpeg-4, Supported
Audio : 73 MB, 77 Kbps, 44100 Hz, 2 channels, 0x55 = Lame MP3, Supported

?? Cannot seem to get 16:9 as output. Any idea what I am doing wrong??

Mike :cry:

ADDITIONAL NOTE: After looking at the file "C:\Program Files\MediaCoder\plugins\dev_videodisc.xml", I see that is says "<node key="aspect" value="4/3" />". How does this file get set and why is the aspect ratio always 4/3 in my case??

Praco
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Praco » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:29 pm

From the posts, I think that I am experiencing the same issue. I have some MPG files (from a survailance camera) that I would like to convert to AVI, mostly because AVI video editors appear to be more common. The PROPERTIES of the MPG file, report 352x576 ( 8200Kbps, 25fps ). I managed to get an AVI file, but it is squashed HORIZONTALY. I guess that I would have assumed that the default would have had the ASPECT RATIO left unchanged. Should anyone know a short-term fix, I would love to hear it.
In the mean-time, and when time permits, the inclusion of being able to specify the output aspect-ratio would be a great inclusion.