problem during conversion frm .mkv matroska file to avi mpg4

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

kimi79
Beginner
Beginner

problem during conversion frm .mkv matroska file to avi mpg4

Post by kimi79 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:57 pm

Hi All,
I have a .mkv movie file which i am converting to a .avi file using 'mpeg4' for video and 'Lame MP3' for audio.
This .mkv file has a vorbis Audio and avc video settings.
Whenever i start converting the file i get only approx 10 mins of the file converted and not the whole 945 MB which is its actaul size.
Is this becuase there may be multiple video files in the .mkv matroska container file.
If yes then how do i convert the whole .mkv file to .avi

note that the 10 mins of conversion is always succesfull and i get the .avi with no errors but the mediacoder stops after a certain time saying the conversion is completed.

Please help.

SirAuron
Expert
Expert

Post by SirAuron » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:11 am

Moved to General Discussions. The Tips & Guides subforum ist not ment for questions.
Last edited by SirAuron on Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
MediaCoder settings:

x264 (backend/source: mencoder, fps: 23,976, Fabio Sonatti's settings) + nero aac 64 in matroska

Psyk0T1x
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Psyk0T1x » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:59 am

exactky the same problem. but only with this mkv file.

Psyk0T1x
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Psyk0T1x » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:52 am

hi,

actually, it is about size. the file stops @ 74 Mo
onevery Mkv.

if anyone can help ?

willypowwow
Beginner
Beginner

Post by willypowwow » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:04 am

I, too, am having this same problem. Encoding stops partially through the file.

Psyk0T1x
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Psyk0T1x » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:50 am

and still only from mkv and still @ 72~74 Mo

jemmandthe
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jemmandthe » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:38 pm

Ya i have the same problem converting mkv to avi it stops converting after 10min

coas
Beginner
Beginner

Post by coas » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:11 pm

Same problem here.

Nightscream
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Nightscream » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:01 pm

Well, I had the same problem with a few episodes of an anime, and I think that there's a problem with the transcoding of vorbis audio in mediacoder (I tried a lot of configurations but without success).
But fear not, because if you really want to transcode the file to another type, you can follow these steps to do it (it worked for me at least). These procedure takes around 5 minutes for a file of 180MB and 24 minutes (it will change depending on the size and length of the video, but won't change that much). You'll need a few programs to do it:

- MKVtoolnix
- MKVextractGUI (put in the same folder of installation of MKVtoolnix)
- MKVmergeGUI (it's already in the mkvtoolnix, it's the mmg.exe file)
- winLAME

Do not ask me where to download them, you just type their names in google and there you go.

1) With MKVextractGUI you open the file you desire to transcode, select all the tracks you want to use later in the box below (video, audio and subtitles) and select "extract". This will take around 30 seconds.

2) With winLAME you open the audio file you just extracted and then clic on "next". Then select custom settings and select your desired quality (you can change this later in mediacoder so you can ignore this) and select "start" (the play button). This will transcode that vorbis audio into a LAME mp3 audio. This will take around 3 minutes.

3) With MKVmerge you select the video track, the new audio track(s)(mp3) and the subtitles and clic on "Start Muxing". If a pop up window emerges asking you to select the FPS then do so in the "format especific options" along with the size of the video. This will take around 1 minute.

And that's all. The new file will be the same as the old one except that now with the audio in the mp3 format you can transcode the file into whichever format you desire.

Hope this helped you.

Nightscream
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Nightscream » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:54 am

Just replying again to say that the problem may not be with the transcoding of vorbis audio because with other files there's no problem in the process.

Again, I do not know what the problem is.............even though my solution works...........