Remuxing VOB to MPG

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

Prodoc
Amateur
Amateur

Remuxing VOB to MPG

Post by Prodoc » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:54 pm

Is it possible with MediaCoder to remux (convert) a VOB file to MPG without re-encoding it? Since VOB files contain MPG files it would better to remux them than to re-encode them to preserve video quality.

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:31 pm

I've not tested this.
Try setting video and audio format and to "stream copy" and MPEG as container (click option to set format to MPEG-2).

Prodoc
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Prodoc » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:33 pm

I'm afraid it's not working correctly. It does process the file but when trying to play the output file it will only play the sound. The file size isn't correct either. It produces a 152MB file while other programs create a 157MB file.
When trying to play the file in Windows Media Player, sorry for cursing I had to test it properly, it will try to download the proper codec but fails to find one.
When checking the output file in GSpot, it tells me that there is an 'unknown' codec being used in the file while this should have been 'MPEG2_Vid'
Could this also be a result of the bitrate setting? The input file bitrate is 8300 while the bitrate setting in MC can not go higher than 8192 (either way this value should be increased). This setting should have been disabled/ignored though because of the Stream Copy setting.

P.s. Would it be possible to enable the e-mail notification board setting? I'm finding it hard to keep track of the threads without it since I don't check all boards I'm subscribed to everyday.