DivX4/5 FourCC

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

Gauge
Beginner
Beginner

DivX4/5 FourCC

Post by Gauge » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:52 am

Hi All,

Quick question: When using MediaCoder to transcode into DivX4/5, is there a setting that will allow me to use the FourCC tag of DIVX instead of FMP4?

There seems to be a "Using DX50 fourcc" option within the XViD settings but no equivalent settings for DivX4/5. XViD has had known playback issues due to its use of B-Frames (I think) that results in frame-skipping using older or alternative codecs, so I can't use this.

Background:

I have a GP2X console (killer!) and numerous Windows based Media Players. Every one of them crashes or moans about not being able to find the FMP4 'codec', even though it's a compliant MPEG4 AVI file which can be played back universally by everything if you manually change the FourCC in the AVI from FMP4 to DIVX. I can't find a batch FourCC changer and doing every file one at a time is a royal pain in the behind.

Keep up the great work. Terrific application.

Many thanks,

Gauge

itspete
Modest
Modest

Post by itspete » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:23 pm

Hi.
If you have installed DivX 4/5 on your system, then you can 'Force' the
issue within the coder it'self. It should be selectable within your
'Start->Programs' menu.
If you have not installed it your self, Try this
http://www.divx-digest.com/software/divxcodec.html
There are various versions here. I suggest you download 3.11 and 4.x
and examine them.
They may just assist you.

All the best
Charles

Post by guest » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:46 pm

if b-frames in xvid encodes is the problem, did you try setting the max number of b-frames to 0?

anyway, you can force mencoder to use the fourcc you want.
go to setting - overall - mencoder options - extra mencoder options:

Code: Select all

−ffourcc divx
good luck!

itspete
Modest
Modest

Post by itspete » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:36 pm

guest wrote:if b-frames in xvid encodes is the problem, did you try setting the max number of b-frames to 0?

−ffourcc divx
good luck!
Many thanks for that. Very helpful indeed. I've made a note.
Once again many thanks
Charles

Gauge
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Gauge » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:04 pm

guest wrote:if b-frames in xvid encodes is the problem, did you try setting the max number of b-frames to 0?

−ffourcc divx
good luck!

That's terrific. Many thanks for your help. I've give this a go along with XViD set to 0 B-Frames.

Gauge

thevvs
Amateur
Amateur

Re: DivX4/5 FourCC

Post by thevvs » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:57 pm

Made OnTopic again..

I´ve the same FMP4 problem with my Settopbox after encoding with MC 2011 RC3 5070
I tried to find the settings without luck.
Then I tried the Mencoder-Extra Options with "--ffourcc divx" - it wont work. I even tried "-ffourcc divx" and "-ffourcc xvid" as stated in Mencoder Wiki with no luck.
FourCC stays always FMP4.

Any hints?

* Mencoder FAQ:
In particular, specifically for FMP4 fourcc, accordingly with MPlayer FAQ :
Q: Why do third-party players fail to play MPEG-4 movies encoded by MEncoder versions later than 1.0pre7?
A: libavcodec, the native MPEG-4 encoding library usually shipped with MEncoder, used to set the FourCC to 'DIVX' when encoding MPEG-4 videos (the FourCC is an AVI tag to identify the software used to encode and the intended software to use for decoding the video). This led many people to think that libavcodec was a DivX encoding library, when in fact it is a completely different MPEG-4 encoding library which implements the MPEG-4 standard much better than DivX does. Therefore, the new default FourCC used by libavcodec is 'FMP4', but you may override this behavior using MEncoder's -ffourcc option. You may also change the FourCC of existing files in the same way:
mencoder input.avi -o output.avi -ovc copy -oac copy -ffourcc XVID
Note that this will set the FourCC to XVID rather than DIVX. This is recommended as DIVX FourCC means DivX4, which is a very basic MPEG-4 codec, whereas DX50 and XVID both mean full MPEG-4 (ASP). Therefore, if you change the FourCC to DIVX, some bad software or hardware players may choke on some advanced features that libavcodec supports, but DivX doesn't; on the other hand XviD is closer to libavcodec in terms of functionality, and is supported by all decent players.
Because of this annoying detail, third-party software may fail to decode video that has been encoded with software based on a recent libavcodec, such as VLC. Modifying the fourcc with 'DX50' or 'XVID', for example, should resolve the problem.

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Re: DivX4/5 FourCC

Post by meRobs » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:59 am

Back to the original question:
Yes, you can set MediaCoder to force the fourCC !
See Note 4 in the Encoding Guide at viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9643
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download