Need help converting to AVI

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

Maximus
Beginner
Beginner

Need help converting to AVI

Post by Maximus » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:11 am

:D Hi!

I am totally new to this software so I need some help. I saw thew tutorials but still, not easy to figure it out for what I need.
I have an old DVD player that can play AVI movies but I'm not sure it can play any other format other than the regular DVDs. I will check later for the other for4mats but for now I would like to convert my movies on the laptop to AVI files.

The files I need to convert are all .mkv or .mp4

I have tried MediaCoder but couldn't find where to specify the output. I have tried one file and right now I have a popup window showing 6FPS - 1027Kbps. Is this the final output? I hope not because 6FPS is ridiculous. I am including a screen capture so it'll be easier for you to help me :)

What I need is a step by step guide to convert .mkv and .mp4 files to .AVI with the maximum quality. So it should be simple. Well... I hope :D

Thanks in advance!

Max

Stunes
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Need help converting to AVI

Post by Stunes » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:08 pm

Hey Max, looks like you're on the right path. The 6 FPS in the dashboard view (video window) indicates the speed the video is being processed at, not the final result.

There should be tabs visible beneath the Dashboard if you move it. If not, go to Options, User Interface Mode, and choose Normal. In these tabs you can thoroughly alter all the necessary settings to get the results you want, with a little tweaking. The "Picture" tab will show you what the output frame rate is. There is no "One size fits all" settings as many source files are different but I can probably help you understand how to set up a preset that only needs a minor tweak or two depending on the source file. It's definitely worth understanding the basics because this program seems to open and convert absolutely anything you throw at it and it's pretty fast. Very robust and easy to use once you get to know it.

If you do read this let me know how the conversion turned out, and if you need help I'll offer what advice I can.

flagpole
Modest
Modest

Re: Need help converting to AVI

Post by flagpole » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:01 am

If you are using a dvd player that plays DivX/XviD it is unlikely to support 1080p. It is because you are converting full HD that your conversion rate is so slow.

can't see your encoding settings but you likely want

Video:
format - XviD
rate mode - 2 pass
video bitrate ~1000kbps
advanced simple profile level 5
high quality mode

Audio:
Format - MP3
lame MP3 ABR 128kbps

container: AVI

the tricky bit is the picture and resize settings. you are going to need to resize to SD to play on your dvd player. typically we use a width of 720 for SD, your source is 1920 X 800 so you need a width of 720/1920*800= 300
keep display AR
my quant puzzles http://puzzles.nigelcoldwell.co.uk go look :)