Recording audio

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

zorgkang
Beginner
Beginner

Recording audio

Post by zorgkang » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:37 am

Hi,

I just found out that MC can open an Avisynth script that uses directshowsource of a graph edit file, and thus I can directly encode live video from my DV cam. It would be awesome if I could do the same with audio, i.e. encode to AAC from my mic, and mux it all live into an mp4 file.

I haven't been able to get the audio in through Avisynth though (I'll skip the details for now). I saw there's a DShow Capture option for audio source, but didn't find any settings for it. Can this be used to record live audio, from say a line in or mic?

Any other ideas of how I could achieve this?

Thanks!

zorgkang
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Recording audio

Post by zorgkang » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:20 am

I still haven't figured out what that DShow source option means or how it works (anyone?), but I was able to get my audio in through an avisynth script, like in the example of audio-video using Graph Edit in the Avisynth documentation. And MediaCoder is able to open and encode this live AV stream with x264 and neroAAC like I wanted! :)

I added a DelayAudio command in my Avisynth script to sync and now I'm all set. I spent so much time figuring how to record the video with VirtualDub, but there still were quirks that made it complicated, and audio wasn't working. I'm so happy there's a "nicer" alternative!

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:18 pm

MediaCoder supports encoding directly from directshow device. Click Add button and choose Add Capture Device.
When things work together, things work.

zorgkang
Beginner
Beginner

Post by zorgkang » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:21 am

Thanks Stanley,

I'm very interested in this option since I found my previous solution with Avisynth had issues (which I can probably work around) but also poor audio quality. It's not clear to me if it's possible to mux live audio capture into a video yet though. I'll try probably later today.

zorgkang
Beginner
Beginner

Post by zorgkang » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:21 am

I haven't been able to figure out how to do audio directshow capture. I keep getting errors (mostly 15, sometimes 11). I tried recording to nero aac, mp3, to mp4 container or raw stream, with and without selecting a video capture device at the same time. It seems to complain a lot about muxing when there's only the audio source. I'm not sure what settings are appropriate.

I've also not very optimistic that it is possible to mux a directshow audio source with say my avisynth video script. I haven't seen a way to mux 2 inputs from the top pane.

Any other tip will be appreciated.