change in UI for x264 CRF setting - warning about old preset

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

fredbe9300
Amateur
Amateur

change in UI for x264 CRF setting - warning about old preset

Post by fredbe9300 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:08 am

I was a little miffed today, when my conversion resulted in bizarrely small files.

Just before, I had done a new clean install (+revert settings) of build 0.8.29.5600 (Mar 2014) - replacing 0.8.28.5588 (Jan) - there were a few builds in between that I never tried

I soon realized that the UI for video settings has changed, but not the preset file field

I was reusing an older preset, like this (simplified)

Code: Select all

<MediaCoderPrefs>
    <node key="overall.task.keepTemp">On Error</node>
    <node key="overall.audio.source">FFmpeg</node>
    <node key="overall.audio.format">HE-AAC</node>
    <node key="overall.video.mode">VBR</node>
    <node key="overall.video.autoBitrate">By Ratio</node>
    <node key="overall.video.quality">56</node>
    <node key="overall.video.source">FFmpeg</node>
    <node key="overall.preview.mode">Off</node>
</MediaCoderPrefs>

The line overall.video.quality=56 used to be interpreted as a percentage and, there was a (probably unclear to most humans) formula used to determine the CRF passed to x264.exe (I believe it was probalby (CRF value = (100 - overall.video.quality) / 2 )... the formula meant that you had to pick values between 50 and 64 to end up in the most typical range of crf 18-25.

Anyway, the UI no longer uses %, but expects the exact CRF value. (an improvement :) )

but it's still based on the same field in the preset files, so overall.video.quality=56 became -crf 56 input to x264.exe

I read this forum with some irregularity, but had not found any notice here nor in the changelog.

So, yeah, just sharing with other users then.

PS: I guess there is no pleasing everyone, and I do prefer the exact CRF input field... But I would have liked the program to use a new field in preset files, and have the capability to use old presets under their old 'meaning'. (that, or a note in the changelog). I've donated, so, I'm not a freetard. Just constructive feedback (hopefully) ;)

Thanks for the very useful software and frequent updates.

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Re: change in UI for x264 CRF setting - warning about old pr

Post by meRobs » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:24 pm

There is, of course, a general comment on Presets in new builds, at: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8521&start=0.
It is listed under Tips & Guides.
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: change in UI for x264 CRF setting - warning about old pr

Post by stanley » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:56 pm

You are right. It seems I shouldn't use the same key path.
When things work together, things work.