repeatable crash of 0.3.9 build 1895

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

billwoo
Beginner
Beginner

repeatable crash of 0.3.9 build 1895

Post by billwoo » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:13 pm

I have been doing some conversion of .mp3 files to Ogg Vorbis, setting the 'Quality slider to value #500.

These mp3 source files are about 66 megs each in size. I have been able to successfully batch convert a bunch of them, but I have come across one fileof this type that crashes MediaCorder just by loading it into the file-list window and single-clicking on it or by trying to run TransCode on it from the menu. I have the source set to LAME encoder.

I have un-installed MediaCorder, erased the Program file folder, rebooted, re-installed MediaCorder, re-run the 3.9 update. In short done everything but gone through the registry and hand-cleaned out any Media Player entries before re-installing.

I enabled logging in the last setup, but I can't find any log file created by this crash (I have just installed Windows Desktop Search and it appears not to be working properly). But I've looked in all the usual places you would expect a log file.

Since I have Visual Studio 2005 installed as my default debugger, the crash is trapped by its debugger, but very little information is revealed :

On request I will send the debugger output file, mainly a list of files loaded, to you.

I really like the design and functionality of MediaPlayer. Hope I can solve this problem. I will keep testing with other files to see if I can locate more than one "killer' file.

thanks, Bill
"rahi gulzar to phool philenge" : "where there is a garden, the flowers will come" : Kabir

billwoo
Beginner
Beginner

Q

Post by billwoo » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:02 am

After further experiments, it is obvious that MediaCorder will crash any number of times in a variety of circumstances.

The only variable I can see is file size : crashes are more frequent when trying to TransCode a list of 10 or so .mp3 files each of which are > 60 megs in size to Ogg Vorbis, Quality = 500.

Setting source encoder to MPlayer or Lame MP3 seems to have no effect on the crashing.

I did get logging working, but when these crashes occur, even after it successfully Ogg Vorbis encodes some of the files in the list, the log file is blank. That the log file is working is indicated by the fact that just opening and closing MediCoder results in a log file like this :

[05-04 21:57:48] Scanning plugins
[05-04 21:57:48] [Vorbis] Applying codec parameters
[05-04 21:57:48] Initialized
[05-04 21:57:50] [Vorbis] Applying codec parameters
[05-04 21:58:03] [Vorbis] Applying codec parameters
[05-04 21:58:05] [Vorbis] Applying codec parameters

thanks, Bill
"rahi gulzar to phool philenge" : "where there is a garden, the flowers will come" : Kabir

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:20 pm

Please try disabling MediaInfo and see if the problem still occurs.

billwoo
Beginner
Beginner

Post by billwoo » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:29 pm

Stanley wrote : "Please try disabling MediaInfo and see if the problem still occurs."

Okay, that seemed to solve the problem. I looked through your glossary and searched your site, but can't seem to find any info on 'MediaInfo.

Thanks for a great open-source project; I wish I had the expertise in this arena to help you develop some good documentation.

best, Bill