2pass encoding failed

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

lahercoll
Amateur
Amateur

2pass encoding failed

Post by lahercoll » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:11 pm

I just tried to convert an HD video 1920x816 3D HSBS - around 8 GB - with MediaCoder 8.24.5542 using these parameters: High 4.1
CABAC
B.frames 5
Predictor 6
Bitrate 8200
2pass
Preset Slow
Tune Normal
Everything else by default. I got an error message at the end of first pass - after 4 hours - but I couldn't read the code number...
Then I tried to convert a 20 MB file small resolution with same parameters but lower bitrate and everything worked fine.
My question is: what the problem can be ? I think high resolution or high bitrate shouldn't be a problem...
Perhaps it could be a problem the HSBS (Side By Side) frame ? But I don't think so.
Or some parameters needs to be changed ?

Any suggestion or help is greatly appreciated .
Thanks

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Re: 2pass encoding failed

Post by meRobs » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:04 am

I have never tried 3D video, I never rely on the defaults and prefer not to use the latest builds (see: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12748).
May I suggest you try one of more of the following to experiment:
(1) use a short segment of your 3D file or use the Trim function on the Effects window
(2) try my preferred build (5392)
(3) try some of the suggestions in the Encoding Guide, listed under Tips & Guides (below)
(4) try a single pass
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

lahercoll
Amateur
Amateur

Post by lahercoll » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:53 pm

meRobs wrote:I have never tried 3D video, I never rely on the defaults and prefer not to use the latest builds (see: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12748).
May I suggest you try one of more of the following to experiment:
(1) use a short segment of your 3D file or use the Trim function on the Effects window
(2) try my preferred build (5392)
(3) try some of the suggestions in the Encoding Guide, listed under Tips & Guides (below)
(4) try a single pass
Thanks for your reply.
Well I just downloade build 5392 and made a few tests with a 3D segment file (nearly 2 minutes, around 110 MB). Everything worked fine, single pass and 2pass as well. I also tried with FFmpeg selected - a few parameters adjusted, like Motion estimation mode umh,GOP subpixel..)) and everything worked fine.
So I think I'll try again a 2pss encoding of whole file. Hope it'll be fine!
If not which kind of single pass do you suggest (ABR,CBR, CQP...) ?

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:59 pm

For single pass, I would use ABR.
I'm no expert on the choices -- I always use ABR (CBR is not efficient).

Once you get a feel of things from experimenting in 5392, you may wish to hop back to 5542 and try what you have learnt with more experimenting with that short clip.
Or await a better build once the bugs in 5542 are fixed, if ever.
You may not be concerned with the bugs in the builds since 5392 and, instead, prefer the extra features in the more recent ones.
Good luck
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

lahercoll
Amateur
Amateur

Post by lahercoll » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:22 am

meRobs wrote:For single pass, I would use ABR.
I'm no expert on the choices -- I always use ABR (CBR is not efficient).

Once you get a feel of things from experimenting in 5392, you may wish to hop back to 5542 and try what you have learnt with more experimenting with that short clip.
Or await a better build once the bugs in 5542 are fixed, if ever.
You may not be concerned with the bugs in the builds since 5392 and, instead, prefer the extra features in the more recent ones.
Good luck
Well, I just tried the whole 3D file 2pass encoding , and I observed a strange thing: MediaCoder blocked at 99% of second pass and a screen of Haali Media Splitter appeared !
However, I went in output directory and found the whole file encoded! I just didn't get the message "Succesfully transcoded" I don't know why...
By the way, in FFMpeg panel I selected Motion estimation mode Uneven Multi hexagon (umh) but in encoding has been used Hexagon (default; in x264 panel there is no option to change it).
Do you know if is possible to change Motion estimation mode in x264 encoding ? In FFMpeg panel there is option to change it, but I'm not sure how it works...
I think I'll keep using build 5392, until a new version with no bugs will be available of course.
Besides, it looks that not always newer build means more features- For example in the x264 panel of some older versions of MC there was options to customize Motion Estimation Mode. Now it looks only Hexagon (default) is available..