Immediate Crash on Startup

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

JoeM
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Immediate Crash on Startup

Post by JoeM » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:46 am

Robs, thanks for the followup.

The short answer is 5392 will not not work for me.
I have now tried out most versions after 5298, and they all seem to produce the same symptoms.
Release 5298 is the last one which works reliably for me.

I tried installing Mediacoder_x64 rel 5392 into a new directory.
Tried running it ...and up came the welcome screen allowing one to go through the Config Wizard which I did.
Then chose the "Start Mediacoder" .... Mediacoder started ok.

Every subsequent attempt to run Mediacoder results in both the Welcome and Splash screens appearing and then either Win7 comes back with a window "Mediacoder has stopped working" or Mediacoder just "freezes" with both the Welcome and splash screens displayed (but "grayed out"). In this case, the only way I have found to stop them is to kill the Mediacoder task via the task manager.

The Win7 Event Log for the App Error is always reporting that mccommon.dll is the faulting module.

Is there any further info that I can supply that would be of assistance?

A query pls.
As I now have multiple versions of MC on my "L" drive (each in a separate directory) ... apart from the installation directory and the presets saved in ../AppData/Roaming/BroadIntelligence/MediaCoder x64/presets
Are there any other files / directories / regkeys that I might need to remove manually in order to remove all traces of MC and thus have a known "clean install".

regards,
Joe

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:11 am

Suggest you read the Guide on using Presets (viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8131&p=24835#p24835), especially Section 2 to avoid the welcome screen. There are other guides that may help (see Tips & Guides, below).

I have many builds installed, but to avoid problems (cross interference, etc) they are installed as 'portable' versions, by checking “Save Data Files in Program Folder” on the 'Choose Components' window during installation.

Broad Intelligence folders in my 64-bit Win7 are located at:
Users > Owner > AppData > Roaming and Users > Owner > AppData > Local

Finally, let me say that I have never used the Wizard system. When the Welcome screen appears I use the 'Start Now' or whatever it is called then check: "Do not show this screen again". More comment on this is given in the Guides on Presets. As a result I only every see the Welcome screen when a build is first installed.
I suggest you try this.
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

JoeM
Amateur
Amateur

Post by JoeM » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:44 pm

Robs ... Thanks for your tips.

I have previously looked at the guides, but following your suggestion, have re-read them with respect to the points to make.

I never used to use the "wizard" to set the prefs and had always set the option to skip the Welcome screen on startup....
but had tried using it when trying to discover what was causing the startup crashes in order to try to eliminate the possibility that I has somehow managed to have or create a corrupt prefs file.

Similarly, all the different builds that I now have installed on my "L:" drive have been installed as "Portable versions" to avoid cross interference as you point out.

Anyway, advances have been made.
Using build 5298 (the most recent build which runs reliably on my system), I went in and changed the (advanced) prefs to:
"Ignore Build" (set it to 9999)
"Do not show welcome screen" (set it to 9999)

Using these changed prefs, I can now reliably start all Mediacoder_x64 builds upto and including 5525.
Build 5530 (the most recent ) still crashes when starting (even the first time) ---
Does it use a "new" prefs file (or look in a different location)as it always comes up with the "welcome screen" even though the existing pref file is set to not display the startup screen?

Edit:
-----------------
Answer to above question is that build 5530 looks for the prefs.xml file in the same directory as where the app was installed
Confirmed this by watching what goes on in the app with ProcessMonitor program.
Putting my prefs.xml file in the app's directory allows it to startup (without the Welcome screen) properly.
I can then produce the crash (described below) by clicking the Refresh (rss feed) button.
----------------------

However, I think I may have discovered the area in which the problem lies.
Builds up to and including 5525 startup properly with my modified pref file (ie no welcome screen etc).
However, once started, I have discovered that if I click on the "Refresh" button to refresh the RSS feed, then MC crashes/freezes in the same way as before. This is not a problem to me --- I will just not do it, but tends to suggest that the problem could be inter-related with accessing RSS feeds.
Is it possible/likely that the RSS feed is accessed at startup when the "Welcome" screen is displayed and hence the crash which follows.

regards,
Joe.

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:14 pm

Someone else may have the answer to the RSS connection.
Also, as you may see from my comments in viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12693, I am not bothering to look at recent builds until there is some suggestion that the recent bugs have been addressed.
My testing of builds (see Test Report) takes time and there is no point in repeatedly reporting that builds fail certain tests and continue with known bugs.
I will simply keep 5292 for any needs I have.
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

Yatsura
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Yatsura » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:48 pm

I got same problem here.
Tried versions 0.8.19.5370
and 0.8.24.5542

Installed as admin, checked "revert settings from previous installed versions", deinstalled previous versions before.
I did pretty much everything described in this thread.
The registry key "HKEY_USERS\CurrentProfilId\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
Key : Path to MediaCoder mine
" does not exist in my registry.

Im using Windows 7, 32 Bit.
The error I get is this:
Problemsignatur:
Problemereignisname: APPCRASH
Anwendungsname: mediacoder.exe
Anwendungsversion: 0.8.22.0
Anwendungszeitstempel: 51f93461
Fehlermodulname: mccommon.dll
Fehlermodulversion: 0.0.0.0
Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 51f93415
Ausnahmecode: c0000005
Ausnahmeoffset: 00003e60
Betriebsystemversion: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Gebietsschema-ID: 1031
Zusatzinformation 1: 0a9e
Zusatzinformation 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Zusatzinformation 3: 0a9e
Zusatzinformation 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

JoeM
Amateur
Amateur

Post by JoeM » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:54 pm

I have had lots of problems with Mediacoder_x64 (builds from > 5298 thru to current 542) on a Win7 Pro x64 system with current Microsoft patches applied.
I have posted about in other threads here.

After discovering another thread here ( viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12593 ) regarding the issues / effects / consequences of having Microsoft's KB2670838, I checked and found it was in my system.
Basically it comes as a by-product of electing to have with IExplorer v10 (not that I use IE as a preferred browser ).

I have now removed KB2670838 and it would appear on preliminary testing that the situation has much improved and I have not experienced problems (yet!).

So ..... maybe KB2670838 (described by others elsewhere as "the evil one" ) is a possible root cause with either incompatibility with more recent builds of MC or KB2670838 has issues of its own.

A suggestion if you are running Win7, try removing KB2670838 and see if there is any improvement.

There still MAY well be other issues in MC_x64, as the type of error reported here (& I was getting also) is often linked with dangling/un-initialised pointers (ie. refs to/via address zero!) -- Only the developers can decide on that one.

Joe

Yatsura
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Yatsura » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:31 pm

Problemsignatur:
Problemereignisname: APPCRASH
Anwendungsname: mediacoder.exe
Anwendungsversion: 0.8.22.0
Anwendungszeitstempel: 52260045
Fehlermodulname: mccommon.dll
Fehlermodulversion: 0.0.0.0
Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 52260002
Ausnahmecode: c0000005
Ausnahmeoffset: 00003e60
Betriebsystemversion: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Gebietsschema-ID: 1031
Zusatzinformation 1: 0a9e
Zusatzinformation 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Zusatzinformation 3: 0a9e
Zusatzinformation 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Also with new version 0.8.25.5556 and without the evil update.
I never installed KB2670838.