Conversion (flv to MPEG 2) Fails With Error 14

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

royAM
Beginner
Beginner

Conversion (flv to MPEG 2) Fails With Error 14

Post by royAM » Fri May 31, 2013 3:57 pm

Just installed Mediacoder version 0.8.22, build 5506 today. I attempted to convert a 94.4 MB flv video (bit rate 1133 Kbps, 854 x 480 res. (16:9), 25 fps, AVC, audio 96.6 Kbps, 44.1 KHz, AAC) to MPEG 2 (MPEG 2 container) using the wizard to setup Mediacoder. The encoder started with no problem but after completing one task it stopped with an error 14 message. Neither one of the two suggested causes for such messages applied to my situation. I did look at the Console output and saw a number of things that didn't seem quite right. Right at the beginning I saw "....VBV buffer size not set, muxing may fail." I looked thru all the menus and settings and didn't find a way to set that buffer size. There was also a statement indicating "bit rate too low for these parameters." I assume it was referring to the bit rate of the outoput file which I had set at 8000 kbps which seemed a reasonable rate for an MPEG 2 file which I planned to burn to DVD. I chose a resolution of 720 x 480 for the output file and a frame rat e of 29.97 fps. When I ran the conversion the second time, the message I got from Mediacoder was that the output file I was trying to produce already existed in the output folder, but I checked and no such file was there. Not sure what that was about. I have attached the Console output below. I read the appropriate tips but did not find any that seemed to relate to my situation. My system is Windows XP, SP3, AMD Athlon II X4 630 quadcore, 2.8 GHz. with 4 GB RAM. Any help will be much appreciated.

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Re: Conversion (flv to MPEG 2) Fails With Error 14

Post by meRobs » Fri May 31, 2013 4:15 pm

You haven't mentioned the build of MediaCoder -- a key factor.

Also, the requirements for MPEG2 that suit a DVD are given in the Guide on MPEG2 at viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8282&start=0.

The values given for MPEG2 in the Encoding Guide, also listed under Tips & Guides (link below), will suit DVDs in NTSC.
I suggest you try these values and adjust the bitrates to suit.
I also suggest that a video bitrate a lot less than 8000 kbps would be more than adequate (indistinguishable from 8000).
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

royAM
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Conversion (flv to MPEG 2) Fails With Error 14

Post by royAM » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:54 pm

Hello meRobs,

Thanks for responding to my post. As to not mentioning the build of Mediacoder I'm using, you must have missed the first line of my post. The build was mentioned along with the version number.

I'm quite familiar with the requirements for MPEG files and the requirement of DVD authoring tools. I'm just not that familiar with Mediacoder. I read the material that you mentioned, most of which I was already familiar with. The problem has now been solved. It resulted from an oversight on my part in that I choose the wrong encoder. Somehow I had in my mind that the wizard had asked about the encoder so I didn't think to look at that setting on the Mediacoder UI. Last night, after reading some of the material you mentioned, I looked at the settings on the UI very closely and I immediately realized that the "Auto" was checked for the encoder and X264 was the default setting. Once I made that change, I was able to convert the desired file with no problem.

Media coder isn't the easiest program to use but in the end I think it's well worth it to get used to its complexity. One of the things I like about it is that Stanley is constantly improving the program. I just read a post last night about his thinking about bringing H265/HEVC to Mediacoder. I use VideoRedoTVSuite (a commercial program) for editing MPEG and H264 video and so far I haven't read anything in their forum about H265/HEVC. However, I imagine that they will eventually move in that direction.