Subtitle Question

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

ysbinns
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Subtitle Question

Post by ysbinns » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:06 am

I would agree with you, as that is how I used to think. I wanted MediaCoder to do it all like I thought it should. I still think it should and probably could be corrected to do what it should, but I think the developer has too full of a platter to actually commit to creating a single complete version.

However, I do feel that MediaCoder can do a tremendous amount as long as the user carefully analyzes what functions he requires and what functions work with what settings. I have a certain set of requirements and I know how to get those accomplished and with which version. It may require the use of several softwares but once you "know" the rules then you can get things done. And I don't think I could do without MediaCoder to do those things.

One wish I do have is a way to get rid of that horrid Cinavia crap. It really messes with my Play Station 3 playbacks !!

Megatherion
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Megatherion » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:15 am

this is why i bought a Roku XS for movies
and is the reason for figuring out the whole subtitle thing
im going to try your method later today and see if that will do what im wanting

ysbinns
Amateur
Amateur

Post by ysbinns » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:41 am

Good luck with that Megatherion. I know you can get the subtitles hardcoded into the mkv file. I have lots of movies that I've done this to. Avatar and X-Men 5 are just 2 examples where I've edited the srt subtitle file, merged back together and hardcoded the new subtitles into the movie. If you have any problems let me know your details and I'll try to help you out if I can.

By the way, I do all my mods on mkv versions of my movies. However I convert everything to a MP4 file using h264 video and lc-aac 2 ch audio, for playback on my PS3s, XBox360s and WD HDTV Media players. And I've got over 3,000 movies that we watch. So things can work !!

ysbinns
Amateur
Amateur

Post by ysbinns » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:31 am

meRobs: Just to let you know, this "problem" has been solved. The subtitle files that caused the problem are the SSA/*** style subtitles. It appears that Mediacoder cannot handle this style for hardcoding into the movie.

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:43 am

Thanks. I have just added a comment to this effect in the Subtitle Guide.
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download