Can't custom resize output and use DivX 6 codec for encode?

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

ant
Amateur
Amateur

Can't custom resize output and use DivX 6 codec for encode?

Post by ant » Tue May 16, 2006 10:31 pm

Hello!

I am using MediaCoder v0.3.9 in Windows XP Pro. SP2. I can't seem to resize like to 396x356 pixels (encoding from MPEG-2). How do I make my own custom sizes?

How come I can't use DivX v6 (encoding from MPEG-2)? It was installed from the latest K-Lite Codec Pack. VirtualDub shows it, but not in MediaCoder.

Thank you in advance. :)
Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx) and Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net).

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Wed May 17, 2006 1:18 am

To resize to custom resolution, simply enter your desired resolution in the combo box, e.g. 396x356.
DivX6 is not supported. It's not an open format.

utsumi
Beginner
Beginner

Post by utsumi » Wed May 17, 2006 1:04 pm

I'm having trouble with resizing, too. I'm using version 0.3.9, build 1852. When I check "Resize Video" and enter a new size, it resets to the original video dimensions after I click on any button. The same thing happens when I try to set a new frame rate. It seems to be stuck at 352x288 @ 15fps no matter what type of file I load, and no matter what changes I make in the "Picture" tab. It even resets to these values after I've entered them into the various "Settings" tabs and hit "Apply."

How do I get the program to retain the values that I've input?

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Wed May 17, 2006 1:58 pm

I will check the resizing issue. An alternative approach is to modify the resizing settings at Settings -> Video Filters -> Scaling.
Frame rate setting is an individual setting, so that each file has its own frame rate setting. To change frame rate globally, you need to set it in Settings dialog.

utsumi
Beginner
Beginner

Post by utsumi » Wed May 17, 2006 3:03 pm

Settings -> Video Filters -> Scaling has the same problem for me. It doesn't retain the newly input values once I hit "Apply." (This is when "Scale to Preset Size" is set to "Use Custom Settings.") It immediately snaps back to 352x288 @ 15fps.

Speaking of which, more preset sizes would be useful. 512x384 is a common 4:3 resolution (for AVIs, anyway), and 608x336, 624x352, and 640x368 are typical 16x9 encoding settings.

Thanks.

stanley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stanley » Wed May 17, 2006 3:42 pm

I've fixed the issue and will add the presets you mentioned. Is there any more common resolutions unlisted?

utsumi
Beginner
Beginner

Post by utsumi » Wed May 17, 2006 5:02 pm

re: size presets

It might be simpler to use a dialogue box with a pair of linked up/down scale buttons. Assuming that you want the scaling to retain the same aspect ratio, you could simply click up and down and step through all the viable X/Y resolutions. (See the current resizing option in AVI Recomp for what seems to be a good solution.) You would need to load up a different set of resultions depending on whether you want your output to be 1:1, 4:3, or 16:9, though.

ant
Amateur
Amateur

Post by ant » Thu May 25, 2006 5:02 pm

stanley wrote:I've fixed the issue and will add the presets you mentioned. Is there any more common resolutions unlisted?
Thank you and my custom resizing worked. :) No, resolutions to add.
Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx) and Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net).

Grateful
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Grateful » Sat May 27, 2006 7:23 am

utsumi wrote:Settings -> Video Filters -> Scaling has the same problem for me. It doesn't retain the newly input values once I hit "Apply." (This is when "Scale to Preset Size" is set to "Use Custom Settings.") It immediately snaps back to 352x288 @ 15fps.
I encountered the same issue, and you have to select the "Scaling" option and turn it to "Yes", at which point THEN the values you select within the Scaling Options will work.

As a side note to the programmer... Awesome stuff... I've just started to use it and play/experiment, and I am most impressed...