File cannot be output error

Discuss about generic usage of MediaCoder.

Moderator: HuggiL

noobishEncoder
Amateur
Amateur

File cannot be output error

Post by noobishEncoder » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:45 pm

Hi all,

I tried to encode an entire movie file but was shown an error message saying "File is not output" or something like that.
Please advice.

Cheers

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Re: File cannot be output error

Post by meRobs » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:14 am

Hi, welcome to the forum.
Unfortunately, you have given us no info on your settings or of the build of MediaCoder.
Suggest you read the Encoding Guide under Tips & Guides (link below), then, try a few of its suggestions.
This should give you some ideas that allow you to experiment and arrive at settings that suit.

MediaCoder is a User Interface that gives you access to many utilities lying 'under the hood'. Sometimes there is a clash between them and sometimes the set parameters don't suit the chosen utilities. Then, an error!
Each build of MediaCoder is a beta version (will have bugs).
Good luck.
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

noobishEncoder
Amateur
Amateur

Post by noobishEncoder » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:53 am

I am using 2011 build 5166.
The movie is around about 2h30mins.

I tried export a portion of it for testing purpose and they were successfully exported.
But when I exported the entire movie, a message popped up upon finishing that there is no output file.

meRobs
Expert
Expert

Post by meRobs » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:12 pm

Did you check the Output folder?
The output file may be there -- maybe MediaCoder gave the incorrect error message?
Have you checked out the Tips & Guides for MediaCoder? Try: http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8061
Also, get older builds at: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaCoder/old-versions#download

noobishEncoder
Amateur
Amateur

Post by noobishEncoder » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:01 pm

Yes. The output file was empty.
I managed to figure out the answer.

The video file I am trying to encode is 2h23m27s long.
But when I look at the duration of the video in the drop box of media coder, they show it is 2h23m00s long.
So, I tried this. I put in the end time for export as 2h22m59s and it did export the file for me.

But when I try to export the full video by default and inputting 2h23m27s as the end time, the file does not get output and I'll always get the same error message saying "No file was output."

Please advice on the incorrect time duration shown from video source and coder info.

Attached screen caps.

Update: I am currently using an updated build 5172

thevvs
Amateur
Amateur

Post by thevvs » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:25 pm

You are trying to convert a MOV which is most likely created by a Camera, am I right?
If this is the case, then you have a problem which I once had. A Quicktime MOV normally contains the correct Lenght of the Movie:
(see Source for more)
elst
Function: edit list
Contained In: edts
Can Contain: leaf atom
The elst atom contains the edit list. The edit list contains information about the times and durations that pieces of a media track are to be presented during playback. There are many Quicktime file decoders that choose to ignore this atom. This is not a good idea. The edit list atom must be taken into account to guarantee proper A/V sync on certain files.
If you have a Cam that is creating MOVs its sometimes the case that
- the Cam creates the Mov as a Stream, not Containing Information about its final duration.
- the cam wrongly calculates/writes the data in the MOV after recording:
Duration says 2h23m27s, but the real Stream is only 2h23m00s long - so Progz like MC won´t see the Frames beond 2h23m00s, cause theres simply nothing there.
Maybe the missing time is the time the Cam needet to store the file - it added and saved this extra time to the MOV.

Maybe theres more to it, but thats only out of my experience here. Somebody may correct me if i´m wrong.

So you have to live with that or you buy a new cam or if it was no cam: See whats causing the problem in the Prog that created the MOV.